Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone delete their PTT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:50 PM
wuneyewilly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone delete their PTT?

Anyone upgrade their hand controls, maybe for a chrome upgrade on their Ultra or other, and not get the PTT switch?

I got new bars and controls w/o the PTT switch, got a new deck and removed the tank console port. The radio works fine with old controls but new bars left volume doesnt work with new bars. Even the radio buttons freeze.

Radio must need something from the PTT switch. I see there are four wires. Two tie into the volume control and two run back to the deck harness.

Anyone do a PTT switch delete?

Old 06-24-2018, 11:25 PM
REPO1
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I didn’t necessarily remove my PTT, but I did eliminate the entire communication system from my bike. I have an aftermarket deck, so it didn’t actually work anyway. I began cutting and pulling wires that went to the rear area of the bike for the passenger plug, and the tour pack controls. By the time I was done, I had completely eliminated the (facing the rear of the stereo) right hand large main plug completely. It was actually amazing how much wire I was able to eliminate. I bought the Scortch handlebar kit, and everything works as it should on my JVC deck.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 AM
wuneyewilly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a head's up to anyone looking to delete their PTT, for example getting new bars with new hand controls and wanting the PTT toggle removed from the left control, yet still using the stock wiring loom, stock radio or minimally AquaticAV deck.

There are two lines that loop back into the loom so just deleting the four wires from the toggle switch breaks the loop for the missing and expected two wires. Two join into the loom which end up going to the radio connector loom so these two arent missed anyway but two dont and the radio and controls want that loop closed. If you dont add those two or close the loop, the radio and radio specific controls dont function right...at least for the Aquatic.

I guess you could close the loop or jumper them together but I'm not super electronically savvy and didnt want to jack up the new 5UBT-H. I ended up just buying a new bare PTT toggle switch for $50, added the two missing wires into the loom, coiled it up and zip-tied it to some framework in/behind the fairing. Radio works, controls work. PTT module, wiring and PTT switch from left control is gone so now it is clean and functional.

FYI I use Cardo PackTalk Bold hence not wanting the antiquated PTT. I think I have some pics I took and will try to add.

Last edited by wuneyewilly; 09-13-2018 at 09:46 AM.