Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm perplexed with this issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Unimoose
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm perplexed with this issue

So here is the set up and the infuriating issue I have going on. Aquatic AV head unit, Arc Moto 600.4 amp, Focal KRC's in the front and Hertz 6x9's in the back. Ten gauge wire running power to the amp, ground wire is the same size to the battery and when it all works it sounds pretty damn good.

The wife and I headed up to Laconia last weekend. For the first 40 minutes of the ride the amp would cut out sporadically. I have a light run through the top of the fairing to show when the amp is getting power and it would go out, sometimes it would go out when I hit a bump other times it would just go out on it's own for no reason. After we are out and about for 40 minutes or so the amp stays on the rest of the ride with out issue. It does the same thing on the way back! I am thinking a loose ground wire so when I get home I take the seat and fairing off and check and double check the wires. I turn on the accessory switch, but don't start the bike, no issues at all. I take the bike out yesterday and I have a speaker cutting out randomly just like the amp did last week, then 30 minutes into the ride it kicks on and stays that way.

Other than disconnecting everything and starting from scratch is this a battery or charging issue at this point? If the amp kept cutting out the entire day I would say I have a power/ground issue but any time an issue comes up the problem resolves itself after 30 - 40 minutes of riding. I'm open to ideas before I just say screw it and use earbuds!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

You are having the same issues that a lot of folks are having that are running this amp. The issue is your plugs that plug in for input and output are loosing contact. Some have used zip ties around the amp to hold them in place to keep contact.

The following users liked this post:
Unimoose (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

What HU?

T

Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Matty_d
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
What HU?

T
You must be reading to fast T. Aquatic

So here is the set up and the infuriating issue I have going on. Aquatic AV head unit, Arc Moto 600.4 amp, Focal KRC's in the front and Hertz 6x9's in the back. Ten gauge wire running power to the amp, ground wire is the same size to the battery and when it all works it sounds pretty damn good.

The wife and I headed up to Laconia last weekend. For the first 40 minutes of the ride the amp would cut out sporadically. I have a light run through the top of the fairing to show when the amp is getting power and it would go out, sometimes it would go out when I hit a bump other times it would just go out on it's own for no reason. After we are out and about for 40 minutes or so the amp stays on the rest of the ride with out issue. It does the same thing on the way back! I am thinking a loose ground wire so when I get home I take the seat and fairing off and check and double check the wires. I turn on the accessory switch, but don't start the bike, no issues at all. I take the bike out yesterday and I have a speaker cutting out randomly just like the amp did last week, then 30 minutes into the ride it kicks on and stays that way.

Other than disconnecting everything and starting from scratch is this a battery or charging issue at this point? If the amp kept cutting out the entire day I would say I have a power/ground issue but any time an issue comes up the problem resolves itself after 30 - 40 minutes of riding. I'm open to ideas before I just say screw it and use earbuds!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Unimoose
Tourer

What HU?

T
Its the aquatic av aq-mp-5ubt-h

Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,472 Likes on 3,227 Posts

If you are sure of your main power connections, I would check for intermittent power to the remote power also.

SBates08 comments are probably right on track as well.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Have you been able to duplicate this with the hood off? Is the amp actually shutting off or going into protect?

In other news, 10 AWG seems a bit small for that amp.

T

Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 AM
Unimoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
If you are sure of your main power connections, I would check for intermittent power to the remote power also.

SBates08 comments are probably right on track as well.
I pulled the amp last night and put zipties on the connections. Hoping that helps

Have you been able to duplicate this with the hood off? Is the amp actually shutting off or going into protect?

In other news, 10 AWG seems a bit small for that amp.

T
When the good is off everything works great. I tug wires and connections and everything works great still. Honestly I don't know if it's shutting off or not

I may have misspoke on the size of the wire, I got the size recommended by ARC.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:41 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a similar problem a few weeks back. Chased every thing and every connection was good. Except the spade on the fuse connection was corroded. Cleaned it up and all is good now. It sucks that it can be any one of so many things.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Unimoose
Tourer

Seems the zip ties around the amp building the connectors in did it. I was out for a couple hours today, aimed at bumps from time to time, and it never cut out once! Thanks folks