Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Ultra Classic - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2009 Ultra Classic - Recommendations?

I ride a 2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic w/ factory head unit and basic fairing/tour pack speakers. I would like to put together a system with better audio while retaining the factory head unit. I primarily listen to FM and do not want to loose it (I live about 50 miles from Chattanooga & Atlanta... already at the edge of many stations' listening areas). I also want to keep the CB. I'm not an audiophile and I'm not looking for the "best sounding system" around... I'm looking for the best sounding system I can afford and build/add-on as funds become available. Ultimately, my goal is to install an amp and upgrade the speakers in the fairing & tour pack. I would like to include speakers in the lower fairings... possibly in the saddle bag lids down the road.

I ride my bike around town... back roads... and freeway. I took a trip from Georgia to New Mexico not long ago... interstate the whole way. I typically ride around town and weekends with the tour pack removed. I currently have V&H Big Oval slip-ons on the bike... so the exhaust is pretty tame.

I've read several posts about so many amps/speakers and their advantages/disadvantages... to tell you the truth it's a bit overwhelming for someone like myself that has never spent a lot of time upgrading his audio system and really just wants to install and forget about it. I'm handy with a solder gun and multi-meter... I don't mind making minor modifications so long as the final product is reliable and looks clean and professional.

With that said... I need some guidance. I expect I will ultimately pay $800-1000 when I'm done. My thinking is that I could upgrade system components individually as funds come available... fairing/tour pack speakers... then add an amp... then add lower fairing speakers... etc.

I'm not exactly sure where to start... do I decide on and install an amp with the current factory components then build the system around it? Or replace the existing speakers and decide on an amp later? Or is it best to bite the bullet, pull out the credit card, buy all the components, and install at the same time? Suggestions?

Thanks and Ride Safely!
John.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaJohn
I ride a 2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic w/ factory head unit and basic fairing/tour pack speakers. I would like to put together a system with better audio while retaining the factory head unit. I primarily listen to FM and do not want to loose it (I live about 50 miles from Chattanooga & Atlanta... already at the edge of many stations' listening areas). I also want to keep the CB. I'm not an audiophile and I'm not looking for the "best sounding system" around... I'm looking for the best sounding system I can afford and build/add-on as funds become available. Ultimately, my goal is to install an amp and upgrade the speakers in the fairing & tour pack. I would like to include speakers in the lower fairings... possibly in the saddle bag lids down the road.

I ride my bike around town... back roads... and freeway. I took a trip from Georgia to New Mexico not long ago... interstate the whole way. I typically ride around town and weekends with the tour pack removed. I currently have V&H Big Oval slip-ons on the bike... so the exhaust is pretty tame.

I've read several posts about so many amps/speakers and their advantages/disadvantages... to tell you the truth it's a bit overwhelming for someone like myself that has never spent a lot of time upgrading his audio system and really just wants to install and forget about it. I'm handy with a solder gun and multi-meter... I don't mind making minor modifications so long as the final product is reliable and looks clean and professional.

With that said... I need some guidance. I expect I will ultimately pay $800-1000 when I'm done. My thinking is that I could upgrade system components individually as funds come available... fairing/tour pack speakers... then add an amp... then add lower fairing speakers... etc.

I'm not exactly sure where to start... do I decide on and install an amp with the current factory components then build the system around it? Or replace the existing speakers and decide on an amp later? Or is it best to bite the bullet, pull out the credit card, buy all the components, and install at the same time? Suggestions?

Thanks and Ride Safely!
John.
You gotta pull out the credit card bro! You won't see any significant difference adding ONE component at a time. You want a one and done scenario. If done right you can get some pretty good sound out of the Stock HU. Your main investment is going to be the amp since you want to keep your FM radio. Best amp for your build is the Arc Moto 600,4 and four 6.5 speakers at this point. You will need two SNI-35 Line levelers with the stock radio. The amp will be a good foundation for future upgrades on down the road. Start there.

Last edited by Gannicus; 05-30-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:50 PM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The Amazon reviews I saw for the Arc Moto 600.4 were impressive... but man, they want a pretty penny for that little box! So, if I go with the Arc Moto 600.4... will I need to purchase a mounting bracket to secure it?

What speakers (fairing & tour pack) would you recommend to pair with it? Also, will I require adapters to install the 6.5" speaker in the 5.25" holes?

Thanks,
John.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

The issue is, you wanna save the FM radio. Most class D amps this is sacrificed for better sound options. Most class D amps the radio suffers. When you save it, it puts you into a higher price of amp.