Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some tunes for my Softail (FXST)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018 | 01:19 PM
FLASH1970
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Got some tunes for my Softail (FXST)

I searched around for a while for some tunes on my bike. I bought a "1000 watt 4 channel with 3" speakers all in one" package for about a 100 or 150 bucks a while ago and returned it. I'm sure we've all seen them. My latest attempt involved a setup I read about here from Rocket 67. I purchased a couple pairs of kicker 4" speakers with enclosures off a vendor on ebay for 130 a pair. Speakers came with the speakers, grills, mounting screws, a little wire harness with connectors, and wire crimps. The enclosures came with all parts needed to mount them to various sizes of bars, enclosures obviously, hardware, and a few feet of wire with connectors. One of the speakers im having issues with (bad speaker from Kicker, not their fault) and they're sending me a new pair. Not sure if it'll violate any rules to post their name so I wont. PM me if you want it. The brackets that hold the engine guard speakers I painted black. Didn't like the silver look.

I also bought a Kenwood amp to power them for about 140. It's pretty compact, has a wired Bluetooth remote, 4 screws to mount it, and a harness. I did have to splice the wires that came with the enclosures to the wires from the amp because they were not long enough to reach from my bag that has the amp, to where I mounted the speakers. I did need a clamp for the wired remote, which I still have to remove the tank (again) and run the wire under it. I had the clamp laying around and used that along with some JB Weld to set a screw in it to thread the remote onto because they were different size threads. I also needed a connector to tie into a wire under the console so when I turn the bike on, it tells the amp to power up. Also needed tape, wire loom, wire crimpers/strippers. I included links to the 3 main things I bought to make this happen. I was able to hear it doing 70-80 down the highway. Not sure the lower speakers make much of a difference. I'm still playing with angles to get them pointed right. I also downloaded an EQ for my phone. I can take more pics, feel free to ask questions.

https://www.kicker.com/40KMMTES
https://www.kicker.com/ds-coaxial-speakers-4
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/amplifiers/kac-m1824bt/

Last edited by FLASH1970; 05-18-2018 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn Gorman (08-29-2024)
Old 07-20-2023 | 01:01 PM
FLASH1970
|
Stellar HDF Member

i took off the engine guard speakers a long time ago cuz they werent doing much. and after going through a few kicker 4" speakers and barely being able to hear it at 55 or more, i decided to upgrade a bit. i got some Hertz SPL Show SX Neo 6.5" speakers, designed my own speaker buckets to work with the kicker bar mounts and 3D printed them. i can hear my tunes at any speed i ride now which is a plus, but not much mid range so im not too thrilled with the Hertz. maybe bridging the amp to give them more juice would help? i dunno. the GZ yellow baskets at the same power sounded more well rounded so probably going to go with a pair of those unless someone has a better suggestion. was also debating on going to 5.25" speakers cuz, well, for some reason i didnt think the 6.5's would be so big... . they fit, but barely. but on the other hand, i know ill be able to hear 6.5's all the time and might not with 5.25's so id be back to square one... thats all i got. so onto pics cuz everyone likes pics.

Last edited by FLASH1970; 07-20-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2023 | 01:53 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Them are some big uns Sir

WP

Old 08-29-2024 | 09:52 AM
FLASH1970
|
Stellar HDF Member

A little update... So, one of my Hertz died just out of warranty. hertz was willing to sell me one at a discounted price but, that price was the same price as a set of GZ yellow baskets. I like the yellow baskets on my SGS, so i bought a set of those. This brings me to problem number 2... The Hertz are neo magnets and the GZ's are ferrite. The pods I designed and printed do not work with the GZ's. So, I used Inventor to design a new speaker pod, with a hole for my wideband sensor because it was buried behind the speakers before. The pod was too big to print in one piece, so I split up the design into 6 pieces to minimize wasted material and print time. I also bought a new 3d printer mid-project after fighting with the other one, which was a HUGE upgrade. But, if i print too fast, the belts jump teeth and create some interesting prints... But, I got all 6 pieces printed and JB Welded together and sanded down and rattle-canned. The top of my windshield comes up to my collarbone so its not like my vision is obstructed. on to the pics.

Old 08-29-2024 | 09:27 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

/\ **** me

Old 08-29-2024 | 09:30 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Is this officially the WOKE forum?

Old 09-03-2024 | 02:36 PM
FLASH1970