Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 FLHTK Speaker Pod Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 2015 FLHTK Speaker Pod Removal

Are there special tools to reach the screws on the radio bracket mount - 3 lower, 2 upper? The service manual lists the number of screws to remove but no real details. I found a video online showing where they were at but the socket, swivel, extension idea that person used didn't work for me.

I did manage to get the right side off using an offset boxed in 7/16th wrench. Couldn't finagle room for a socket to fit. Also discovered putting it back in that getting the 2 on the top of the bracket in first helped with alignment. Otherwise, those seemed slightly off and tried to cross thread easily.

Just wondering if there a tool purchase would make this easier.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

a suicide swivel / double swivel makes life easier to get the lower 3 on each side. wanna say they are a 7/16. The 2 on each side of the amp tray are not that bad if you have a ball style allen wrench. but you will have to unplug the gauges.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I use 1/4” drive ratchet, extension, swivel and socket for the bottom bolts. The smaller size of 1/4 drive makes it easier to fish in there.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fmfpj
a suicide swivel / double swivel makes life easier to get the lower 3 on each side. wanna say they are a 7/16. The 2 on each side of the amp tray are not that bad if you have a ball style allen wrench. but you will have to unplug the gauges.
I tried a swivel but mine was too big. Maybe I'll swing by the store today and look for a smaller one. The uppers came out but even with a ball style allen wrench I wound up using a bit and pliers to grip it.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by VA_Larry
I tried a swivel but mine was too big. Maybe I'll swing by the store today and look for a smaller one. The uppers came out but even with a ball style allen wrench I wound up using a bit and pliers to grip it.
Some people replace the upper inside bolts with regular bolts so you can use a box end wrench.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:50 PM
VA_Larry
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips.

I made a quick trip to Harbor Freight and picked up a cheap 1/4" socket set. The smaller pieces helped a lot. I don't know if it's the experience (had the right side off and one 3 times last night using the tools at hand) or just the smaller tools but I was able to handle the left side pretty quickly.

I'll have to check the upper bolts to see about changing them to a regular head. A box end would be much easier in that area.

All this to add the "chrome" speaker grills that were a gift and the wife wanted on the bike. At least I now know how to get these off and on so replacing the speakers themselves someday will be straightforward.

Thanks all.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

This little guy works well for the top 2 of the 3. The bottom one a 1/4 swivel ratchet works well.
As for the top 2, when u pull those suckers out replace them with hex head bolts.

T

Attached Thumbnails 2015 FLHTK Speaker Pod Removal-photo784.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
This little guy works well for the top 2 of the 3. The bottom one a 1/4 swivel ratchet works well.
As for the top 2, when u pull those suckers out replace them with hex head bolts.

T
I wonder if the mods know that T is posting pics of his tool here?

Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I wonder if the mods know that T is posting pics of his tool here?
I think their radar probably missed it due to its small size.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Note to self: add two names to the top of your Texas Can of Whoop **** Shix List. Or possibly the Throat Punch Thursday List.

T

Quick Reply: 2015 FLHTK Speaker Pod Removal