Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie audio question. Be gentle. 😀

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Supertrkr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie audio question. Be gentle. 😀

First off thanks for the add. Love all the info available on here.

So here’s what I got. 2015 Street Glide Special with boom audio stage 2 in fairing and lids. Amp in fairing and also in saddlebag. I’m wanting to upgrade the the front speakers and amp to something better. Looking at BT 2180.14 amp and the Hertz MPX 165.3 for the front. Now, lol, the quest is for the rear. I would like to continue to use the Boom Audio amp in the saddlebag due to the fact of the giant hole in the bag for the wire harness. Is there a 5x7 or 6x9 (with adapter for HD factory lids) that will sound better than what I have with that amp or am I wasting my time?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:14 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

If it were me, I’d ditch all the boom junk, put a good 4 channel amp in the fairing to run all the speakers. I would also look at other speakers. But that’s just me.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Supertrkr
Novice

I’m open to recommendations if you’re willing to toss some knowledge my direction.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

What’s your budget and goals?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Supertrkr
Novice

Looking for decent mid bass and clarity without having to add subs. Budget is unknown. Just picking some brains and looking for some recommendations. As far as the hole in the bag for the harness for the rear amp what would you suggest on that also. Wanting to keep the factory head unit also.

Last edited by Supertrkr; 05-07-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

It seems like Biketronics make quality products but are not known for a warm sound. JL amps seem to have the warmest sound.
I’m currently running DD Audio AW6.5 in the fairing with B3 horns powered by a JL xd400/4. I’m happy with the sound but everyone hears things different.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Supertrkr
First off thanks for the add. Love all the info available on here.

So here’s what I got. 2015 Street Glide Special with boom audio stage 2 in fairing and lids. Amp in fairing and also in saddlebag. I’m wanting to upgrade the the front speakers and amp to something better. Looking at BT 2180.14 amp and the Hertz MPX 165.3 for the front. Now, lol, the quest is for the rear. I would like to continue to use the Boom Audio amp in the saddlebag due to the fact of the giant hole in the bag for the wire harness. Is there a 5x7 or 6x9 (with adapter for HD factory lids) that will sound better than what I have with that amp or am I wasting my time?
where abouts in AZ u located? I know of a guy there that maybe would let u listen to his system. So u can get some ideas.

The following users liked this post:
Supertrkr (05-24-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Supertrkr
Novice

I'm in East Mesa, Apache Junction area

Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Let me just say, I’ve been exactly where you are now, and ended up ripping all that is Boom, out, and replacing everything but the H/U. I am so glad I did. I converted the lids to 6x9’s via., Vtwin audio adapters. It was a **** ton of work, but saved me an additional $500-$700. If you’re not concerned about money, there are several other options; Bad Dad, Hogtunes, Rockford Fosgate, twisted 8’s etc., etc. Then, you have the dreaded pods. I kept mine, and added polyfill. Others say Fk it! And tear them out and use the Biketronics speaker mounts. It’s a constant battle, but worth it. Looking back, I wish I could’ve just found a sound shop, and have them do it. It’s a LOT of work!

The following users liked this post:
Supertrkr (05-24-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:31 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

As Baff and others eluded to, ditch the boom amp and go with a good 4 channel amp up front. The boom set up is 2 ohm and biamp setup so there are no aftermarket speakers that are compatible with that amp. That bt2180 is a good amp but has no adjustments on it. A tm400x4ad is perfect for a 4 channel setup and if you can swing it, hertz mpx 690.3 are the best 6x9 out there right now. The new wdx 6x9 are also good but not as warm as the milles. Baff is running polks mm series in the back. I personally have not heard these (yet) but have heard the others. At present I am running the tm400 and the milles in the rear and really like that setup.

Quick Reply: Newbie audio question. Be gentle. 😀