Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting something new

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wanting something new

I’ve changed my set up a few times and I’m ready to do it again and I’m looking for some suggestions. I have a 17 SGS. My current set up is

Sony Ax100
BT 4180
BT Titan II’s in batwing and lowers

For some reason I’m just not that happy with it. It just doesn’t sound clear enough. Or maybe I’m just bored with it. I may eventually add 6x9’s in the lids, but it’s not a priority. And I’m not interested in anything bigger for the bags because I use them a lot. I don’t play music when the bike is parked. In all honesty my main reason for having the AX100 is I like having CarPlay on the bike. It’s just easier to play music and easier to use Maps.

I think I’d like to go with the PRV 6.5 in the batwing along with the DD horns and mmats for the lowers. Is this a good set up? What amp should I go with and which version of those speakers would I need?

Is there anything else I would need to possibly get a better sound while keeping the ax100? I’m not totally opposed to going back to the stock head unit, but I do enjoy my CarPlay.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:59 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I recently added horns to my fairing to try. They are a little bright and harsh but they add so much clarity and detail to the music. I hear things in the music I never heard with tweeters, especially at high speeds. But I can definitely see why some people don’t like them if you have no way to control them.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
I’ve changed my set up a few times and I’m ready to do it again and I’m looking for some suggestions. I have a 17 SGS. My current set up is

Sony Ax100
BT 4180
BT Titan II’s in batwing and lowers

For some reason I’m just not that happy with it. It just doesn’t sound clear enough. Or maybe I’m just bored with it. I may eventually add 6x9’s in the lids, but it’s not a priority. And I’m not interested in anything bigger for the bags because I use them a lot. I don’t play music when the bike is parked. In all honesty my main reason for having the AX100 is I like having CarPlay on the bike. It’s just easier to play music and easier to use Maps.

I think I’d like to go with the PRV 6.5 in the batwing along with the DD horns and mmats for the lowers. Is this a good set up? What amp should I go with and which version of those speakers would I need?

Is there anything else I would need to possibly get a better sound while keeping the ax100? I’m not totally opposed to going back to the stock head unit, but I do enjoy my CarPlay.

Thanks in advance.
The Sony is fine. The problem is your speakers and amp. If you're gonna go Pro audio. You want PRV in the fairing and the lowers with the VO B3 Horns. JL 600/6 to push it all. Take a look at the Cadence XPRO69CX PRO 6x9's for your speaker lids. The PRV's you want are the 6MR500-NDY-4. If you want loud and clear while keeping your bag space. This is your set up.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
The Sony is fine. The problem is your speakers and amp. If you're gonna go Pro audio. You want PRV in the fairing and the lowers with the VO B3 Horns. JL 600/6 to push it all. Take a look at the Cadence XPRO69CX PRO 6x9's for your speaker lids. The PRV's you want are the 6MR500-NDY-4. If you want loud and clear while keeping your bag space. This is your set up.
Hows the lows on those 6x9? I noticed they have a freq range of 71-20K.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:28 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

Hows the lows on those 6x9? I noticed they have a freq range of 71-20K.
Gann- Also, what about the rest of the Cadence line of speakers? Any others worth looking at?

Old 05-01-2018, 03:01 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Do the PRV’s fit in the lowers? I thought they were more square in regards to mounting. That was the only reason I was thinking about going with the mmats for the lowers.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JAGlide
Gann- Also, what about the rest of the Cadence line of speakers? Any others worth looking at?
Was only impressed with the 6x9’s had a couple models of the 6.5’s and they were not that impressive. The 6x9’s are very loud and have good bass. The horn on em is not as bright as the Pioneer Pros. I’ve done a couple local installs with em and the dudes loved em.

The following users liked this post:
JAGlide (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
Do the PRV’s fit in the lowers? I thought they were more square in regards to mounting. That was the only reason I was thinking about going with the mmats for the lowers.
The PRV’s do have to be modified to fit in the lowers. About a 30 minute per speaker job. You have to grind the ears off of em to make em round. Then drill new holes. Very much worth the time and effort