Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet headset recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:38 PM
LockAndLoad
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Helmet headset recommendations?

Hey guys...I'm looking for advice on a new helmet bluetooth headset. I'd prefer one that has an optional handlebar remote just because it's kind of cool

I used a Sena 20S for a couple of years. I don't typically ride in a group or do I receive many phone calls. I could never get the Sena to work correctly and their Customer Support was insulting at best. I don't know if I had a defective unit or just not smart enough to get it set up correctly. "Hello Sena" worked fine at my desk, but never once worked while on the rode. There were several times I am sure I looked like an idiot going down the road and slapping myself on the side of the helmet trying to wake that bitch up! I ended up giving the whole setup to a friend of mine.

It would be nice to be able to receive a call, but not required. Has anyone had any luck with a system other than Sena?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

More than likey the issue was you. I have had the Sena 10 for about 5 years or so. No issues. Two things that help for a much better experience. Make sure voice activation is off if you don't have a full face helmet. Noise with make that thing turn on and off. Second use the mic and speakers that are hard wired. Not where the speakers are plugged into the Sena. My wife uses hers on a 3/4 helmet can make calls listens to her music.We have pared with other riders as well. I use mine just to talk to her. Cuz my stereo rocks! Good luck. Ride safe

Old 04-21-2018, 08:23 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I never had a single issue with the sena SMH10R in 5 years, just upgraded to the newer ones, no clue what this handlebar thing you are wanting would do, never heard of such a thing

Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 PM
LockAndLoad
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I should look at getting a Sena 10 model versus the 20s? I did read up a lot on it and owners weren't happy after a recent firmware upgrade...some of the functions weren't working like they had been before. Many people were complaining about the voice prompts not working once the unit was idle for over a minute.

The handlebar remote was pretty cool, you could basically operate the headset from your left grip. That part worked just fine. Well, it would adjust volume, seek stations, etc. I could just never get "Sena" to stop music if it was already playing, start music if it wasn't, or couldn't make or answer any calls at all (by voice, the main unit or with the remote).

Not sure how the 10 series works, but to "wake up Sena", you were to tap the side of the unit twice. So I'd end up tapping the side of my helmet. This rarely worked, so you'd end up doing it over and over. I finally got to the point where I'd just shut it down, turn it back on, then it would be active for voice commands for about another minute.

Again, thanks for the replies. I think I will try out a 10 series. I know the remote does work with that model also.

Last edited by LockAndLoad; 04-21-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

I am a bit of a technophobe despite being an engineer (an old one). I just recently pulled the trigger on an entry level Sena 10s. This is in preparation for a longer haul trip across Europe in June.
I started slowly by getting to grips with the music streaming over a few days, once confident I then started with the phone. Even the basic model is quite complex and if you get lost in the menu a simple reboot on/off gets you back to somewhere familiar with the "Hello" greeting whilst on the move.
Do not run before you can walk. If you still have the Sena 20 do a factory reset and start over but digest it in small portions would be my advice, they are great pieces of kit.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:54 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LockAndLoad
Thank you for the replies. Maybe I should look at getting a Sena 10 model versus the 20s? I did read up a lot on it and owners weren't happy after a recent firmware upgrade...some of the functions weren't working like they had been before. Many people were complaining about the voice prompts not working once the unit was idle for over a minute.

The handlebar remote was pretty cool, you could basically operate the headset from your left grip. That part worked just fine. Well, it would adjust volume, seek stations, etc. I could just never get "Sena" to stop music if it was already playing, start music if it wasn't, or couldn't make or answer any calls at all (by voice, the main unit or with the remote).

Not sure how the 10 series works, but to "wake up Sena", you were to tap the side of the unit twice. So I'd end up tapping the side of my helmet. This rarely worked, so you'd end up doing it over and over. I finally got to the point where I'd just shut it down, turn it back on, then it would be active for voice commands for about another minute.

Again, thanks for the replies. I think I will try out a 10 series. I know the remote does work with that model also.
the 10 series I'm referring to, has none of that voice command, or FM, just a bare bones intercom, and phone use thing,

Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
the 10 series I'm referring to, has none of that voice command, or FM, just a bare bones intercom, and phone use thing,
I believe the 10 system has been superseded by the 10S which does now have the features you mention, voice command and FM.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by K9F
I believe the 10 system has been superseded by the 10S which does now have the features you mention, voice command and FM.
you can still get the SMH10R, it's the low profile version,

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...hoClQIQAvD_BwE