Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing secrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:57 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Few thing and I apologize if this turns this thread sideways.

1. This is a friendly forum where folks share information. I'm a national level competitor who travels the country showing his bike. There's things I just won't share.

2. There's a lots of a$$holes here who I would never give my information to and that's what happens when I share openly. There are forum members on this forum that when I was a sponsor were selling the EXACT same products I carry and offering them to members over PM at a lower price to undercut me and they continue to do this now without being sponsors. These are the so "called" gurus on this forum who do this. I'm not helping them out either with free information.

3. I do run a business and personally think I am doing injustice to the customer who brings me his bike from PA, Ohio, SC, Alabama, etc. and I charge them for this info then come here and just give it away. I'm also not like the company that was linked above who shares a ton of generic information to promote sales because for me it's the passion of building an awesome sounding bike. It's not about the sale or the money. Ask Outkast what his bill was for me to tune his bike. $0.00.

So while I understand your question. Where are the all the "smart" guys who offer information here daily when this topic comes up? I'm not the only guy here who uses a DSP you know. Also where are the guys who WERE smart at tuning and DSP's that used to post here? They left because of the culture here now. We went from pushing the envelope and learning to DB Moto's and Massive Audio amps.

Sorry for that rant, this is not directed at you --- just wanted to address a topic that continues to come up.
Didn't mean to hijack the OPs thread. Not looking for a final EQ just a baseline to start from before I drop cash on something that I end up not being able to use. Smart move for most of us is to just not buy DSPs unless we have a shop that know how to use them on sleds.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Stew_FL
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok here is my secret for best sound.
Take it or leave it.

You need to match your radio output voltage to be the same as what the DSP / amp wants for input voltage. To high a voltage results in overdriving the DSP / amp causing distortion. Under driving causes low output sound levels.

A DSP is nothing more than a sophisticated EQ. Don't be afraid of it. Take a white noise or pink noise generator and play it through your system. Take a real time analyser and make all your settings / Freqs. on the DSP read flat / equal or as close to flat as possible on the RTA.

Also make sure that your HP / LP
Filters are set correctly so they are not sending freqs through that your speakers are not rated for. If they are you will get distortion and pop your speakers.

Adjust bass and treble on the head unit to taste.

Although they are not the best devices for this, you can get RTA and white/pink noise generator apps for your phone.

If that does not work, don't blame me I don't know my a** from a hole in the ground.

Last edited by Stew_FL; 04-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Ha! The DSP is simple. Adjust the frequencies on your speakers until your ears like what they hear. Simple as that. (Almost) Lol!! Basically you need an understanding of what each adjustment does. i.e., Slope, crossovers, gain, Q, EQ and time alignment. Once you understand how each setting changes your music. You’re good to go! The challenge is blending all of those factors together so your music sounds the way the artist intended it to sound.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a secret the wannabe pros won't tell you. They only play songs that sound good on their systems and exclude the (even super popular) ones that expose their lack of tuning experience. Back in the day we'd have competitions where you had to play what you were given.

Wanna see whether a guy knows what he's doing or not, hand him your own playlist

Old 04-21-2018, 01:36 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Respect
Here's a secret the wannabe pros won't tell you. They only play songs that sound good on their systems and exclude the (even super popular) ones that expose their lack of tuning experience. Back in the day we'd have competitions where you had to play what you were given.

Wanna see whether a guy knows what he's doing or not, hand him your own playlist
100%

Ask Gannicus what my criteria was for my last personal build.

"When I can play ANY song and it sounds incredible and every song has bass - I'm done."

Old 04-21-2018, 03:14 PM
azmaniac
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I'm stuck in the middle..ill tell u first of I have a system (THANKS TO GANNICUS) that i guarantee I can play any song u want me to...rock..country..metal..hip hop and it will rock and I can hear very clear when I'm riding at freeway speeds...in a parking lot in not gonna blow your mind but I'm betting you'd probably say damn that sounds pretty good and it's LOUD...but like most now it got me craving more..i said no matter what I'm not going to put stuff in my bags cause I actually do ride this bike ALOT...soooo lately I found myself looking to add a second amp and probably a set of 8s in the bags so I'll still have enough room for trips...then when that's done I'm sure I'll say I can get louder and lower with 10s

BTW I did dumb my 6.5 boom for the Sony BUT I have NOO DSP