Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought the RF HD14-TKIT and TMS65 '14 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:42 AM
AssaultVehicle95
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought the RF HD14-TKIT and TMS65 '14 FLHTK

Hey all just wanted to let you know that after reading about every thread on audio upgrades in my budget (750ish), I decided to pull the speaker on the Rockford Fosgate HD14-TKIT with the TMS65 tour pak speakers. This was over budget, but I was able to get a good deal on the system that kept me less than 200 over budget. Online coupons rock!

Both of my local custom bike shops recommended this kit for bang for the buck and I couldn't piece together a custom kit in my price range, nor do i have any knowledge in wiring it. The plug and play and solid online & local reviews is what got me to pull the trigger.

Ill update my opinion on this kit after the install. Let me know if any of you have anything to suggest or if there are any questions you have for me! Thanks to everyone on the forum that helped others with their search. Reading those threads has helped me a lot.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:55 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

You WILL need 1 or 2 bt 355 line levelers for that setup. That amp is solid but the speakers will leave you wanting more. Just saying. Regardless, again the LL is a must for the boom box HU. Contact Donna at biketronics and let her know you are a forum member for a discount. If you want fade option or have it flashed on your bike then you will need 2 LL.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 04-20-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 AM
AssaultVehicle95
Novice

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
You WILL need 1 or 2 bt 355 line levelers for that setup. That amp is solid but the speakers will leave you wanting more. Just saying. Regardless, again the LL is a must for the boom box HU. Contact Donna at biketronics and let her know you are a forum member for a discount. If you want fade option or have it flashed on your bike then you will need 2 LL.
Great.... Rockford Fosgate told me that I wouldnt need a line leveler if i had the HU flashed by one of their dealers or at a rally by their techs..... figures. Im hoping with my experience being only with stock HD speakers I will be awestruck by the speakers and I wont desire more, but time will tell. That BT355 and the speaker brackets is what put me over budget on every setup i tried to build, even figuring in the 10% forum discount .... dang it.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 AM
AssaultVehicle95
Novice

That extra $270 expense might be enough for me to cancel or return this order... I cant justify $1200 for an audio system

Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

You wont need the brackets with the speakers that come with that kit. They will drop right in the pods without any mods. Finding someone to flash the hu is another story. The ll eliminates any need to flash and get it right.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 AM
AssaultVehicle95
Novice

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
You wont need the brackets with the speakers that come with that kit. They will drop right in the pods without any mods. Finding someone to flash the hu is another story. The ll eliminates any need to flash and get it right.
I have a question now -- I'm confused. I just called the local RF dealer and they claim they have flashed multiple 14+ touring models with no issues using their software. They said that this eliminates the EQ from stock HU and gives me ability to make any and all adjustments (fade, bass, treble) through the HU without a LL. Are they blowing smoke up my **** to make the 75 bucks on the flash causing me problems down the road? Should I just save up and buy the $270 kit and not waste the 75 bucks on the flash?

Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AssaultVehicle95
I have a question now -- I'm confused. I just called the local RF dealer and they claim they have flashed multiple 14+ touring models with no issues using their software. They said that this eliminates the EQ from stock HU and gives me ability to make any and all adjustments (fade, bass, treble) through the HU without a LL. Are they blowing smoke up my **** to make the 75 bucks on the flash causing me problems down the road? Should I just save up and buy the $270 kit and not waste the 75 bucks on the flash?
The key is finding an audio dealer or indie (not HD) who can do the flash and get it right. You don't want to really use the system until you have the flash done or the LL. For many of us that don't have a dealer nearby that can do that, we would have to wait until we were at a rally or show to get it done. There was another thread on this forum where someone was going to get the RF flash but I don't know what the final outcome was.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Lastride
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the RF flash done on my 15 RG and its been fine. FYI I did loose my fade.

Last edited by Lastride; 04-20-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: :)
Old 04-20-2018, 01:31 PM
AssaultVehicle95
Novice

Ah ok, thanks.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:33 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by AssaultVehicle95
The $270 is for the speaker brackets. The bt line leveler is around $80. You don't need the brackets with the speakers that come with that kit. The brackets are $270 or so. As far as getting it flashed goes, you can try but all of us here have heard the nightmares of trying to get the flash right. That is why we tell everyone to just get the LL and eliminate the hassle of the flash. It will cost you about the same for both. I have yet to find anyone in my area to do a flash besides HD dealers and they wont flash for aftermarket products.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 04-20-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought the RF HD14-TKIT and TMS65 '14 FLHTK