Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help understanding frequency response and sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help understanding frequency response and sensitivity

So I’m new to audio. Zero previous knowledge. I’ve been reading about sensitivity and correct me if I’m wrong but it’s best to match speakers with similar sensitivity to keep the speakers even vs one drowning out another? Also I read that if a speaker is warm it has a good full sound and leans towards more bass. These are the ones I like. What are examples of good warm speakers? Also on frequency how do you pair those up? The bigger the range the more quality range of sound the speaker can produce?

Last edited by Big trucker; 04-14-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Speaker sensitivity is about speaker efficiency, the lower the sensitivity is, the more watts it takes to get loud. Frequency response pertains to how high or low a speaker will play. Your description of a warm speaker is accurate. I would list the DD AW 6.5, Arc 602's, Focal K2, HAT's (BT Titan's), Polks MM 652, and JL and Hertz...the way all these musical and accurate speakers are E-Q'd will go a long way in how warm they will sound!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
The bigger the range the more quality range of sound the speaker can produce?
Two different things. "Range" is simple, it'll tell you the ballpark high and low frequencies the speaker is capable of. "Response" on the other hand is what largely determines quality. Higher quality speakers generally respond flatter to the input signal. You'll see those graphs with any reputable speaker.

Just because a speaker had a range of 50Hz to 15KHz doesn't mean its good.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
So I’m new to audio. Zero previous knowledge. I’ve been reading about sensitivity and correct me if I’m wrong but it’s best to match speakers with similar sensitivity to keep the speakers even vs one drowning out another? Also I read that if a speaker is warm it has a good full sound and leans towards more bass. These are the ones I like. What are examples of good warm speakers? Also on frequency how do you pair those up? The bigger the range the more quality range of sound the speaker can produce?
Warmest 6.5 speakers out there are the Arc Moto 602's, DD AW 6.5' and the JL C5 650x. Now keep in mind these speakers are "warm" for a reason. Low sensitivity.

To keep it simple. Lower sensitivity speakers (88-90db) coupled with 40 to 50Hz low frequency range gives you warm.

Higher sensitivity speakers (92-100db) on the low end are much louder with less power but not as warm.