Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 CVO boom system

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 05:22 AM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the Road Glide has no lower speakers just the other 2 locations . Spoke to Harley and the dealer is correct it appears . The Boom system will upon any speaker removal continually search for those speakers and amp , therefore behaving like a computer buffering unless you reflash back to stock configuration . One would think Harley would therefore offer the seat pad with no speaker holes ..... one would think !!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:20 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by nykn72
the Road Glide has no lower speakers just the other 2 locations . Spoke to Harley and the dealer is correct it appears . The Boom system will upon any speaker removal continually search for those speakers and amp , therefore behaving like a computer buffering unless you reflash back to stock configuration . One would think Harley would therefore offer the seat pad with no speaker holes ..... one would think !!

Reach out to Biketronics or Soundz Customz. Both make a harness specifically for CVO bikes that includes jumpers that tie into the existing amp connections and allow you to use the stock harness with no modifications. The jumpers basically tell the system that the boom amp is still there and you can add any aftermarket equipment you want.

I'm in the same boat as you and have the soundz harness with the BT line levelers. Depending on who you ask you will be told that the standard CVO flash is fine, others will tell you to have the radio reflashed to 8 speakers 2 amps. For my initial setup I'm going to stick with the 18 CVO RG flash which I assume is 4 speakers 2 amps. If I'm not happy will go with 4 speakers 0 amps or 8 speakers 2 amps. Dealers can still do the standard ultra (4 speaks 0 amps) flash, but some give people crap about it if they have aftermarket systems. My dealer is cool so the ultra flash would be no issue, not sure if they can physically do 8 speakers 2 amps or not.

EDIT: I've added a tourpak but no speakers yet. Not sure if I'll add pods to it or not. I mentioned it to Mike at BT, there's definitely a way to do it without hacking the stock harness but not sure what all is involved and we didn't go into detail because it's a future what if at best. It may get a little tricky but if anyone can figure it out Mike will.

Last edited by Roadie13; 04-07-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

One would think indeed. Harley knows that their devoted riders will purchase their bikes with the boom system and markets it hard. Ask any dealer about the boom system and they will tell you it is the best audio system made period! I was given a challenge here, from the guys who know scooter audio better than most (the gurus), to just get the specs on a cvo boom setup and I couldn't even get the specs for that system. I researched over and over and it appears that this system is so absurd Harley or anyone doesn't even give specs out for it. They will tell you that it has 900+ watts but even that is exaggerated as the system is 2 ohm, those watts are at peak and not rms and drivers are split between tweeters and woofers. Even the aftermarket guys aren't making replacement speakers for the boom system as it is so unreliable that the aftermarket guys don't want the nightmare of replacing speakers that blow. Ask any dealer how many 5x7 rear speakers the replace under warranty and you will be amazed with their answer.
The sad part of this is the Harley boom system is very pricey and the only way to upgrade it is to get rid of the whole setup minus the head unit.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

so I am not a road glide guy but ... If I am reading this right, you want a detachable tourpack without speaker pods but you are asking about the detachable speaker setup as a work around. Do I have that right?

Looks to me like that is available both harley and aftermarket. https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ur-pak-luggage. (Figment tab says should workey).

If i missed something sorry for the distraction.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:35 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 142 Posts

I have a 16 cvo street glide and ordered a king tour pak for it. I got the pad for the king without the speaker pods. Looks kinda weird at first but you get use to it, there where no holes drilled in the pak for speaker pods either. Just an option if you don't want extra speakers.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 AM
nykn72
Cruiser

Thanks all for the replies . Yes I ultimately would love the detachable king pack , but am not crazy about not having the fill in pad , due to appearance , which Harley only sells with the speaker cutouts . Additionally I come to find out if you do add the speakers and amp because the holes are cut out already from the factory , the necessary amp addition mount location makes detachable option not possible . Between this information and the boom situation , kind of pigeon holes one into a permanent mount for now it seems .

Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Sounds like HD definitely has you pigeon holed on this one.

Have you considered yanking all the Boom stuff out and replacing it with good aftermarket equipment? Surf around here, lots of great options and not all of them break the bank. You'll get infinitely better sound/volume and flexibility to do what you are wanting with the TP.

Zach

Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM
nykn72
Cruiser

Could be an option down the road , but I am just picking it up end of the month and actually involved to this extent because dealer receives bike next week and I am setting it up to my needs ahead of time .

Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks all for the replies . Yes I ultimately would love the detachable king pack , but am not crazy about not having the fill in pad , due to appearance , which Harley only sells with the speaker cutouts . Additionally I come to find out if you do add the speakers and amp because the holes are cut out already from the factory , the necessary amp addition mount location makes detachable option not possible . Between this information and the boom situation , kind of pigeon holes one into a permanent mount for now it seems .
honesty if you add the big touring seat and the backrest pad, there is virtually no need for that additional pad, i'll get a picture of mine tonight. I think it looks just fine, I thought very briefly about the speaker pods, but I don't see it, they seem pretty much useless if a passenger is sitting there. and I have no desire to ride around solo with that thing hanging off the back, lids just seemed way way more practical to me. and better looking...

Old 04-09-2018, 03:40 PM
nykn72
Cruiser

Would love to check the bike pics out ty

Quick Reply: 2018 CVO boom system