Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comments regarding Alpine SR-65 Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I have not run lowers before but wanted to make sure that the speakers are all 4ohm as you are going to parallel them off a 2 channel amp. If it were me, I would get another set of titan 6.5 lowers. That way all 4 have the same sensitivity and the volume will be the same in all 4. If you already have those alpines, give them a try.
I am waiting for the enclosers to arrive to see a if BT Titan 6.5 might fit. If they do fit I would rather stay with the BT speakers. I was only considering the Alpines because I know they will fit.
Bill

Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Instead of paralleling fairing and lowers together you could parallel fairing speakers together on channel 1 and lowers on channel 2. That way your different specs won't fight each other when trying to parallel together. Use the balance on the HU to mix the two together.
I, being old and set on left/rght separation, would have never thought of that. Bates, that's why you make the big bucks.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:30 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I, being old and set on left/rght separation, would have never thought of that. Bates, that's why you make the big bucks.
My brain thinks that way too but when dealing with stuff nowadays you've gotta think outside the box.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:34 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

My brain thinks that way too but when dealing with stuff nowadays you've gotta think outside the box.
Thanks man!! Now I'm craving the border........lol

Old 04-05-2018, 05:11 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Hey 4c4 if those titans will fit your lowers, check the for sale section of the forum. There is a set or 2 for sale there.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:55 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey 4c4 if those titans will fit your lowers, check the for sale section of the forum. There is a set or 2 for sale there.
Thank you for all the great ideas. I also see why you get the big bucks!
I'll post the out comes. I like separation between right and left as I cruise down the road listening to my tunes. Being an old guy I mostly listen to vintage rock and roll with a mix of some of the newer stuff. The Eagles, Tom Petty are always top of the list. My group has one two week ride this summer to the White and Adirondack Mountains and it will be nice have tunes for the trip.
Bill

Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 PM
azlou66
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Bravo Sir, well done.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by azlou66
Bravo Sir, well done.
Thanks guys but I can't take credit for it. This was mentioned on a previous thread and it never registered in my brain to do it that way either because of the left-right separation. My man T is the one living on the outskirts of the box.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:58 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I would consider getting higher sensitivity speakers that pair well with what you have. The Alpines sound good but don't get loud enough. Folks used them at one point because of how shallow they are they would drop right into the rear pods with no spacers.

With regard to wiring two of the same speaker on chan 1 and the other on chan 2 I would recommend against it. I know of the few shops online that have started doing this and recommending it and while it sounds cool on paper, in practice the bikes sounds like crap. It's not a good idea to run EVERY speaker on a bike in mono without any stereo separation. Secondly when you do it this way off a Front and Rear channel of a headunit and use fade to "balance" the sound what you are doing is lowering volume. When you Fade....you are not adding volume to one side, you are decreasing it from one side so to achieve balance essentially you are lowering the volume of your loudest speaker to match it to the volume of the lower playing speaker.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
I would consider getting higher sensitivity speakers that pair well with what you have. The Alpines sound good but don't get loud enough. Folks used them at one point because of how shallow they are they would drop right into the rear pods with no spacers.

With regard to wiring two of the same speaker on chan 1 and the other on chan 2 I would recommend against it. I know of the few shops online that have started doing this and recommending it and while it sounds cool on paper, in practice the bikes sounds like crap. It's not a good idea to run EVERY speaker on a bike in mono without any stereo separation. Secondly when you do it this way off a Front and Rear channel of a headunit and use fade to "balance" the sound what you are doing is lowering volume. When you Fade....you are not adding volume to one side, you are decreasing it from one side so to achieve balance essentially you are lowering the volume of your loudest speaker to match it to the volume of the lower playing speaker.
Totally agree that if you are designing a sled setup that this wiring strategy is not ideal. But if ur already pregnant with your setup and did not consider SPL factors / impact and speaker compatibility for parallel ops then this is a viable solution considering stereo v mono is probably not going to have a massive impact at 60+ mph.

Just to be clear, viable bandaid but imho not ideal for build design.

T

Quick Reply: Comments regarding Alpine SR-65 Speakers