Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers cutting out on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 AM
drkstr22
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers cutting out on acceleration

I have a 2000 Road King with an aftermarket Pyle Bluetooth amp. It has 6 speakers to match the 6 channels. Upon startup everything runs fine. When I give the throttle about a quarter turn all the speakers cut-out. When I let the throttle go and she goes back to idle the stereo comes back on. It does this in both Bluetooth and jump drive mode. I don't know if this makes a difference but I have no fairing in the amplifier is mounted in the right side of bag and has no head unit. The amp itself never lose his power. But all six speakers cut-out. Anybody have an idea? I've been wiring stereos my whole life and I've never seen this problem frankly... I'm stumped!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by drkstr22
I have a 2000 Road King with an aftermarket Pyle Bluetooth amp. It has 6 speakers to match the 6 channels. Upon startup everything runs fine. When I give the throttle about a quarter turn all the speakers cut-out. When I let the throttle go and she goes back to idle the stereo comes back on. It does this in both Bluetooth and jump drive mode. I don't know if this makes a difference but I have no fairing in the amplifier is mounted in the right side of bag and has no head unit. The amp itself never lose his power. But all six speakers cut-out. Anybody have an idea? I've been wiring stereos my whole life and I've never seen this problem frankly... I'm stumped!
Try taking the gains down a notch on the amp. At idle the amp is receiving 12V. When you crank the throttle volts jump up to 13.8-14V. Just a theory but I'm thinking the amp is going into protect mode with the higher voltage. Strange for sure. Those Pyle amps aren't known for reliability. lol! Let me know how it shakes out. If it doesn't work we'll keep it moving.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:24 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Sounds like a low voltage problem. When cruising does it cut out or only when you hit the throttle? How old is the battery? Believe it or not a weak battery (if amp is directly hooked up to the battery) can cause a low voltage cut out on an amp.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:30 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Try taking the gains down a notch on the amp. At idle the amp is receiving 12V. When you crank the throttle volts jump up to 13.8-14V. Just a theory but I'm thinking the amp is going into protect mode with the higher voltage. Strange for sure. Those Pyle amps aren't known for reliability. lol! Let me know how it shakes out. If it doesn't work we'll keep it moving.
I thought that too but if it has worked at those gain setting before and just started my thought was low voltage as the bike mag requires a bit more voltage during open throttle.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I thought that too but if it has worked at those gain setting before and just started my thought was low voltage as the bike mag requires a bit more voltage during open throttle.
Who knows bro! This audio stuff can be tricky at times. Just have to troubleshoot until we find the issue. Op might have one issue or several issues. I can't prove it without putting my hands on it but I'm pretty sure his issue is amp related.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

I concur Dr. Gann. Backing the gains down is the easiest first test.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I concur Dr. Gann. Backing the gains down is the easiest first test.
LOL! If that doesn't work he can switch that PYLE out for this.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:12 PM
drkstr22
6th Gear

The first thing i did was r
try to adjust the gain base treble volume. It still cut out at any volume. I previously had a different amp in the bike and had no issues with it. I havent had the bike on the road yet. The speakers cut out when i throttle it. The battery is brand new! Installed 2 days ago.its a high qualty deka gelmat maintence free battery.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

I would say it is an amp problem then as Gann mentioned. He is an audio MD.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:41 PM
drkstr22
6th Gear

Im still having no luck figuring out what's wrong with the system but think i may know the root issue. Over the winter i converted every single light on the bike right down too my dash lights to leds. Could the extra power be finding is way into the amp and faulting it? A friend whose a stereo guy suggested i may need an inline capacitor. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Speakers cutting out on acceleration