Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 PM
azlou66
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?

I have seen multiple threads started about them with zero input. Are they so taboo noone has any input what so ever? How long will the "wink wink nod nod" mentality persist? Or am I completely off base asking?

Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If you truly understand audio and have a grasp on all aspects DSPs seam to be some what straight forward. But for most of us that struggle with the finer aspects of audio and tuning is has been a real challenge.

If you are going to venture in to the world of DSPs you may want to do your research and purchase from a audio guy that offers support. Some of the guys that sell them offer to send you files that will help you get started. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:47 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I think you have to be part of a special club or something in order to be deemed smart enough or worthy of tackling the super powers of such a universe changing device.

Last edited by InthewindMN; 04-05-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm fairly new to this part of the forum so I'm not clear on the history. I've seen a couple of threads that talk about them. Not a lot of info. The only thing I can relate it to is when some of the self tuner modules started becoming available for HD's. Some guys thought they were going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The dyno tuner guys new better. You have to fully understand fuel tables, timing tables, etc in order to truly get the most out of one. Most guys wanted to buy the tuner, have a tuning expert tell them exactly where to put the settings and then expect to be completely happy with the result. Doesn't work that way.

I see the DSP thing being a similar situation. No way one canned setting could be the universal answer to multiple set-ups, even if they share similar/same components. Everyone's ears are different and everyones expectations of the end results are different.

All that said, I'm about to install a DSR-1 on a very basic system because I want to try it out. In fact one very knowledgable member here told me you don't need it for a 4 speaker set-up. I respect his comment because I believe his point was, save your money you can accomplish 90% of the tuning through the amp/HU. I'm not looking to build a sound off winner, so I'm sure the DSP is overkill. I'm by no means an expert and I will be seeking advice from knowledgable people. Ultimately I just want to try it and see if I can learn something new.

For me, I like the idea of being able to fine tune some things via the app. I'm looking forward to getting it going and will post back with how I think it went.

Zach

Last edited by Biggzed; 04-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Definitely no wink wink here. I think the guys who mention them have so much experience with them the term DSP its just part of audio discussion.

In their simplest configuration they're prerty straight forward. Other than getting familiar with the layout it's nothing more than entering some numbers and moving sliders around. If you understand the basics like the difference between driver types you're half way there. Some of the most important numbers are provided from the driver manufacturers. These numbers will get you in the ballpark and most importantly keep your drivers safe. On that note, using a DSP in your system usually means there are no passive crossovers in your system so your drivers are wide open. Just means you gotta tread carefully.

The beauty of DSP's is that a guy half way across the country can program it for you and leave you to tweak to your taste. I have dozens of JL and Helix DSP configs I've done for people and it's nothing more than an email away.

Jump in with both feet man lotsa great dudes here to help.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:34 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

A dsp, huh? Ill have to look into that.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sponger
A dsp, huh? Ill have to look into that.
Are you really going to dip your toe into the forbidden pond, how dare you Rattle Man.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Respect
Definitely no wink wink here. I think the guys who mention them have so much experience with them the term DSP its just part of audio discussion.

In their simplest configuration they're prerty straight forward. Other than getting familiar with the layout it's nothing more than entering some numbers and moving sliders around. If you understand the basics like the difference between driver types you're half way there. Some of the most important numbers are provided from the driver manufacturers. These numbers will get you in the ballpark and most importantly keep your drivers safe. On that note, using a DSP in your system usually means there are no passive crossovers in your system so your drivers are wide open. Just means you gotta tread carefully.

The beauty of DSP's is that a guy half way across the country can program it for you and leave you to tweak to your taste. I have dozens of JL and Helix DSP configs I've done for people and it's nothing more than an email away.

Jump in with both feet man lotsa great dudes here to help.
Thanks my man, I already have one I will be active across 8 channels, front horns, front mid bass, lids, bags, here within the next week or so. I hear you on the driver specs and using those for x-over's at least initial setting, I'm sure some fine tuning will be needed down the line. You mentioned tuners and I believe that is a great analogy, got my first Power Commander in 2004, there was a learning curve for sure but if you put in the work end results spoke volumes. So far my absolute favorite feature of my DSR is the ability to make adjustments real time from my tablet. No more removing the outer fairing or stand on my head with my hands inside a saddlebag trying to hold a flashlight and inspection mirror in one hand while tweaking insanely small black dials with the other hand that alone, at least too me, makes it all worth while.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 AM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by azlou66
Thanks my man, I already have one I will be active across 8 channels, front horns, front mid bass, lids, bags, here within the next week or so. I hear you on the driver specs and using those for x-over's at least initial setting, I'm sure some fine tuning will be needed down the line. You mentioned tuners and I believe that is a great analogy, got my first Power Commander in 2004, there was a learning curve for sure but if you put in the work end results spoke volumes. So far my absolute favorite feature of my DSR is the ability to make adjustments real time from my tablet. No more removing the outer fairing or stand on my head with my hands inside a saddlebag trying to hold a flashlight and inspection mirror in one hand while tweaking insanely small black dials with the other hand that alone, at least too me, makes it all worth while.
From what i can tell, the Android tab 4 does not connect to a dsr1

Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 AM
azlou66
Road Captain

Maybe I got lucky for once my phone and tablet both work well with my DSR.

Quick Reply: Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?