Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:00 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Here's the thing with Q numbers and the differences on an EQ that has 7 bangs (the Arc) lets say 12-13 bands and an EQ like the DSR1 that has 31 bands. The Q factor is how wide you want the change you made to spread. So for example lets say you move 500hz up +2b there are freq to the left and right of that so what does 400hz and 600hz look like when you move 500 up? A higher number like a 4 will create more of a peak at 500 and allows you to focus on that freqs and number like 1 looks more like a plateau and moves the 400 and 600 up a bit too.

So why is this important to know....and how it relates to different DSP's. Well if you have 31 band EQ you can absolutely use a 4 Q factor because if you just focus on +2db at 500 you can then adjust 600 at your liking. If you only have 7 bands then you have to consider how that move of +2db to 500 sounds at 600hz and then you have to adjust the Q up or down. So don't think of Q as it having to be a 2 or that 4 is better. It really is dependent on the tool (DSP) you are using and the adjustments you are looking to make.

When it get's tricky is does 500hz at 1.5 Q +2db (where you have cause a change at 600) sound better than 500hz at 4Q +2db and then adjusted 600hz at 4Q + 1.5db. It could sound exactly the same?
Alex,
I think one way is to use a program on your PC with a parametric equalizer and practice on some songs you know really well. You can do that a good set of headphones until you get a general feel of how to use the equalizer.

If you have a Rushmore HU, you need to flatten out your system to get a good baseline to start from i think. I understand that the PSM comes with a file that is supposed to be close but if you use a DSP that does not you might want to use an RTA and some pink noise. That is a purely mathematical approach but unless you have a good ear/experience you will have a harder time tweaking the DSP to get the sound to your preference.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 AM
azlou66
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
What does this even mean?

T
It was clear to me...

Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by azlou66
It was clear to me...
Well shix!!! Can u send me ur tuning file then? Lol!!!

T

Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM
azlou66
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Well shix!!! Can u send me ur tuning file then? Lol!!!

T
I sure can, do you have a DSR1?

Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG

Alex,
I think one way is to use a program on your PC with a parametric equalizer and practice on some songs you know really well. You can do that a good set of headphones until you get a general feel of how to use the equalizer.

If you have a Rushmore HU, you need to flatten out your system to get a good baseline to start from i think. I understand that the PSM comes with a file that is supposed to be close but if you use a DSP that does not you might want to use an RTA and some pink noise. That is a purely mathematical approach but unless you have a good ear/experience you will have a harder time tweaking the DSP to get the sound to your preference.
Hey brother....just trying to fill the current knowledge gap here that guys continue to ask questions about regarding DSP's. The Q that you will use and/or need for a 31 band EQ is different than one in a 7 band EQ. Bottom line. So pink noise, RTA, etc. is a tool to help you flatten but that doesn't mean it sounds good, and by no means will it address HOW to use Q factor.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Hey brother....just trying to fill the current knowledge gap here that guys continue to ask questions about regarding DSP's. The Q that you will use and/or need for a 31 band EQ is different than one in a 7 band EQ. Bottom line. So pink noise, RTA, etc. is a tool to help you flatten but that doesn't mean it sounds good, and by no means will it address HOW to use Q factor.
Agree, that's why I mentioned practicing on your laptop with a program that is similar to the DSP you intend to use. That way you can hear how the Q factor affects the sound freq you are adjusting and nearby freqs as well. Do you want low Q to have a smaller affect on a range of freqs or a high Q to have a larger affect on a narrow range of freqs. It's all numbers and theory unless you actually listen to it. I want to have a good idea of how it's done before I spend the bucks on a DSP in the first place.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Agree, that's why I mentioned practicing on your laptop with a program that is similar to the DSP you intend to use. That way you can hear how the Q factor affects the sound freq you are adjusting and nearby freqs as well. Do you want low Q to have a smaller affect on a range of freqs or a high Q to have a larger affect on a narrow range of freqs. It's all numbers and theory unless you actually listen to it. I want to have a good idea of how it's done before I spend the bucks on a DSP in the first place.
From my caveman perspective, let's just pretend that overly bright guitar overtones make u go absolutely bat shix crazy. U have an idea that these freqs rest in the 800hz area and they have to go bye bye but u dig everything else in that general range of 700 to 900. Since u have pinpointed what u effing hate and need to make it go away, i would be under the impression that a damn high Q in that freq range and subtractive EQing in that range would be ur first bite at the apple. If u find that ur ears are still puking because the tunes in that freq arena then u might have to take a wider bite and lower the Q so instead of a spike it becomes a pointy breast. Maybe u need to take a beeper bite so u use a more aggressive dB change? And so on and so on. The lower the Q the wider the bite. The bigger the dB change the deeper the bite.
Most folks just like it all. We like all genres and and all of the various sounds they bring so is there really a need for a shix ton of spikes in your EQ or should it flow with a little more? Well almost all of it but when that shix lisps, it's going bye bye in a hurry.
Some dudes really have a keen ear for the music they like, or are chasing a meter, or are competing and want a huge impact in certain areas of the songs they are playing but most of us cave men like the damn songs the way they are produced and want things to flow more natural thus lower Qs and we chase overall ranges we like or dislike with DB's and not get too crazy chasing really specific freqs.
I don't get too juiced up on Qs but if u get into the file sharing thing and find really high Qs u might take a close look at what the individual was specifically and aggressively chasing or eliminating.
Just my cave man views but I have seen files with really damn high Qs and it's just not my thing.

Flame away!!!!!!!

T

Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

The only thing that changed in the pics was the Q from a 1 to a 10. Pick ur poison or anywhere in between.

T

Attached Thumbnails Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?-photo897.jpg   Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?-photo15.jpg  
Old 04-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Alex,

Been there done that my man. I have a thread here somewhere where I did it. I even measured this so-called key-on vs running thing as well as measurements at different volumes. You can easily port those curves into a DSP. I used both line and mic measurements. I worked with JL Audio on this for awhile and its a pisser bc of the volume effect on the EQ.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...n-running.html

Last edited by Respect; 04-25-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-25-2018, 01:28 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Hey I'm not picking on anyone here, but that's a very myopic and simplistic way of going about this because it's only specific to Q and it's function as it relates to the output of the DSP, and does NOT address or account for what freq the speaker naturally spikes at, the impendence curve of what frequencies play louder than others, if there is any colouring of the amp, etc. Then couple what I just mentioned and other contributing factors with a DSP that has 31 bands vs. 7 bands AND different speakers and the equation AND results will change every time. Even the smallest things like radio being used changes how something is Tuned.

AND....while i'm being open here and this is not specific to any comment recently posted by anyone. My 100% honest opinion is that sharing files does more harm than good because baselines setting with so many other variables will NEVER work.

The following users liked this post:
DE-Glide (04-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Are DSP's Lord Voldemort?