Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Sandbaggin'. Really Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Not Sandbaggin'. Really Need Some Help

Gann, sbates, tailwind --- just to name a few people who look like they know their stuff. I'm the guy who had the nice JL Audio system. When I got hit by a car a couple years ago, I thought I'd stay stock on the new bike, and be satisfied to just be able to hear some tunes, but I couldn't do it. "Upgraded" to Boom Stage 2. What a mistake. I'd had that Biketronics Hertz package before the JL, and thought it wasn't bad at all. I recently had a guy install that Biketronics Titan 7.1 upgrade & BT4180 package with the line leveler, etc, but I'm not at all happy with the sound.Just not crisp & clear, and pretty ho hum average. Plenty of volume though. No problem there. I don't know the difference between an amp & an ohm so I can't install & tweak. I have to know what I want, and tell the installer what I want.

Maybe JL spoiled me. Would I be able to get another pair of JL C3-650cw speakers, and just slap them into the fairing with this BT system? Replace those 7.1 speakers with the JL? Something I could do myself? If I can't just plug & play the C3-650cw, what else do you recommend? There are billions of speakers out there, and I don't know them all or what they can do. I had some pretty nice bass from the JLs, and I got nothin' from these BT 7.1s. Not necessarily on a tight budget. Looking for quality with a little bass like the JL had. Thanks for your help ---- again. 2016 Limited Ultra.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Geezr, the 4180 and the BT 7.1 are a great set up when tuned correctly! I personally have not had any problem EQ-ing those speakers and amp to sound great, but I'm running an aftermarket HU KW 998, so I don't have a lot of experience with the line levelers. I think that is your weak link with your set up, the line levelers, sometimes those settings either get tweaked or need tweaking to get proper sound! That's what I have heard numerous times on here!

Old 04-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Gann, sbates, tailwind --- just to name a few people who look like they know their stuff. I'm the guy who had the nice JL Audio system. When I got hit by a car a couple years ago, I thought I'd stay stock on the new bike, and be satisfied to just be able to hear some tunes, but I couldn't do it. "Upgraded" to Boom Stage 2. What a mistake. I'd had that Biketronics Hertz package before the JL, and thought it wasn't bad at all. I recently had a guy install that Biketronics Titan 7.1 upgrade & BT4180 package with the line leveler, etc, but I'm not at all happy with the sound.Just not crisp & clear, and pretty ho hum average. Plenty of volume though. No problem there. I don't know the difference between an amp & an ohm so I can't install & tweak. I have to know what I want, and tell the installer what I want.

Maybe JL spoiled me. Would I be able to get another pair of JL C3-650cw speakers, and just slap them into the fairing with this BT system? Replace those 7.1 speakers with the JL? Something I could do myself? If I can't just plug & play the C3-650cw, what else do you recommend? There are billions of speakers out there, and I don't know them all or what they can do. I had some pretty nice bass from the JLs, and I got nothin' from these BT 7.1s. Not necessarily on a tight budget. Looking for quality with a little bass like the JL had. Thanks for your help ---- again. 2016 Limited Ultra.
How many speakers you running Geezr? Never gonna get a lot of bass from the BT4180. That's the first issue. As you said the BT amp is plenty loud but not much bass. Secondly some of these shops have no idea how to hook that system up. Some shops literally think plug and play means just that.
Not true. The system still has to be tuned. Thirdly I've never been able to get much bass out of the BT speakers with any amp. Not knocking BT as I love that company but the speakers are what they are. Loud and clear at 80 mph. That's it. To get where you were with the JL system you're gonna once again change your amp and speakers. It sucks but that's the only thing that's gonna make you happy. Been there.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks guys. I think I'll start with trying to get a tune on that amp. Sounds like if I want what I want, I gotta do the JL stuff again. Gann, I kept the rear pods stock. Did the BT stuff only in the fairing.