Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on DD Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Stew_FL
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on DD Audio

Hey Guys,
New to the forum and only a one year old Harley rider. 2017 SGS.
Looking to up grade my sound system. Looking at Biketronics because of the warrenty, Soundz because their shop is only an hour away and DD Audio which someone said is better than thoes two.

I am sensitive to high freqs so no harsh or bright speakers.

Been looking at the DD Audio speakers and noticed that everyone using DD seems to be using the AW6.5s and the AT28s.

So here are my questions/concerns.

1. Where do you mount the tweeters?
(I don't want to cut the faring or remove gagues.)
2. Why is everyone using the AW6.5s and AT28s when DD recomends the VO M6.5s and VO B3s for motorcycles and which would also be about $250.00 cheeper and marine certified where I don't see anywhere that the AWs and ATs are.
3. Does anyone know out of these 3 set ups, which has the warmest or less harsh sound.
4. Any other sugestions other than wait till bikefest and listen to everything under the sun to see what sounds best to my ears standing still because I don't think anyone is going to let me take a 100mph blast on their ride.

Its not so much about budget or having the loudest system around.
Its about the best sounding system at speed.
I do have to say, I can hear my stock system at 100mph no problem. Not that I have ever been up to100mph. :-) Is it fantastic, no, but I can here it fine at about 3 bars from full volume. So really I don't know if I am going to get a $1000.00 improvement over what I have now.

Thanks in advance for the help/opinions.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew_FL
Hey Guys,
New to the forum and only a one year old Harley rider. 2017 SGS.
Looking to up grade my sound system. Looking at Biketronics because of the warrenty, Soundz because their shop is only an hour away and DD Audio which someone said is better than thoes two.

I am sensitive to high freqs so no harsh or bright speakers.

Been looking at the DD Audio speakers and noticed that everyone using DD seems to be using the AW6.5s and the AT28s.

So here are my questions/concerns.

1. Where do you mount the tweeters?
(I don't want to cut the faring or remove gagues.)
2. Why is everyone using the AW6.5s and AT28s when DD recomends the VO M6.5s and VO B3s for motorcycles and which would also be about $250.00 cheeper and marine certified where I don't see anywhere that the AWs and ATs are.
3. Does anyone know out of these 3 set ups, which has the warmest or less harsh sound.
4. Any other sugestions other than wait till bikefest and listen to everything under the sun to see what sounds best to my ears standing still because I don't think anyone is going to let me take a 100mph blast on their ride.

Its not so much about budget or having the loudest system around.
Its about the best sounding system at speed.
I do have to say, I can hear my stock system at 100mph no problem. Not that I have ever been up to100mph. :-) Is it fantastic, no, but I can here it fine at about 3 bars from full volume. So really I don't know if I am going to get a $1000.00 improvement over what I have now.

Thanks in advance for the help/opinions.
Check out the Euphoria EPC6K. Sound very similar to the AWs but a ton more efficient. And a ton cheaper.

U will mount the tweets in the grills and cover the face of the grill with treated grill cloth. Home Depot will have the perfect hole bit.

I'm a huge fan of AWs but u need to throw a bunch of power at them. German engineered vs the China engineered VOs. Need I say more? Probably one of the better car audio speakers for SQ in these fancy cages. My local guy is dropping that shix in all his high end car installs.

T.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:05 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

Where in Florida are you? There are a couple of us down here that might be able to help you.
M

Old 03-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Stew_FL
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
Where in Florida are you? There are a couple of us down here that might be able to help you.
M
Central Florida, I live by the Mouse🐭

Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I run the DD aw6.5 with Bt30 tweeters powered by a JL xd400/4. Sounds good with a warm sound. I managed to squeeze them into the factory pods with the tweeters in the grills. Tight fit tho. Grills are Hogtunes.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I run the DD aw6.5 with Bt30 tweeters powered by a JL xd400/4. Sounds good with a warm sound. I managed to squeeze them into the factory pods with the tweeters in the grills. Tight fit tho. Grills are Hogtunes.

I'd love to hear how this sounds. What part of MN. are you in? I have the same speaker set-up but currently have the D4 amp. I'm on the north side of the twin cities.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Covert Olds
I'd love to hear how this sounds. What part of MN. are you in? I have the same speaker set-up but currently have the D4 amp. I'm on the north side of the twin cities.
I’m about 200 miles west in the Detroit Lakes area. Could meet half way when the snow melts.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Check out the Euphoria EPC6K. Sound very similar to the AWs but a ton more efficient. And a ton cheaper.

U will mount the tweets in the grills and cover the face of the grill with treated grill cloth. Home Depot will have the perfect hole bit.

I'm a huge fan of AWs but u need to throw a bunch of power at them. German engineered vs the China engineered VOs. Need I say more? Probably one of the better car audio speakers for SQ in these fancy cages. My local guy is dropping that shix in all his high end car installs.

T.
And just where can you buy these speakers?

Old 03-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Matty_d
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
And just where can you buy these speakers?
That is a great question

Old 03-31-2018, 07:24 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

spork customs on Facebook

Quick Reply: Question on DD Audio