Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF400x4AD, am I setting it right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I think something is wrong, my front speakers are not pleasing to my ears anymore. I notice distortion that I never noticed before. I hope it didn’t blow a speaker. What else could’ve caused my amp to blink red clipping lights? The lights are gone now, after adjusting my line levelers, but I think I may have something. At least when it was clipping, it sounded good. I dread having to pull the pods again, but may have to. Gypsye, adjusting the filters didn’t seem to do anything helpful. I think I’m going to put them back to default. The gains work, but there’s the red light. What the hell could it be?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

The red clipping was from too much input to the amp. Backing it down just decreased the voltage input. Do you have the hcx mounted inside the pods modifying the pods or like the factory speakers that came out ? The reason I ask is I tried the milles in the factory pods only to find the woofer rubber hitting the grills when the bass was pumping the woofer up. The hxc have the same woofer configuration as the milles do. As far as adjusting the LL too much, you will low end distortion if you go too much. If it aint right, you will have to pull the pods and look at the speakers.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 05-25-2018 at 12:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
The red clipping was from too much input to the amp. Backing it down just decreased the voltage input. Do you have the hcx mounted inside the pods modifying the pods or like the factory speakers that came out ? The reason I ask is I tried the milles in the factory pods only to find the woofer rubber hitting the grills when the bass was pumping the woofer up. The hxc have the same woofer configuration as the milles do. As far as adjusting the LL too much, you will low end distortion if you go too much. If it aint right, you will have to pull the pods and look at the speakers.
They’re mounted on the outside, that’s why I ended up getting the Boom grills. They bow out, preventing interference. I dread pulling those damn pods again. I’ll try adjusting again tomorrow. If that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll pull them.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:17 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Ive got RF grills which are the same as hogtune grills and with the pods, the milles I had did hit the grills when pounding at volume. Not much but over a period of time that would mess up the woofer rubber. As much as I hate to say it, that may be your problem. Pull the pods and take a look. If that is your problem, pm me before you get new speakers.

Bafflingbs (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Ive got RF grills which are the same as hogtune grills and with the pods, the milles I had did hit the grills when pounding at volume. Not much but over a period of time that would mess up the woofer rubber. As much as I hate to say it, that may be your problem. Pull the pods and take a look. If that is your problem, pm me before you get new speakers.
Thanks Gypsye!

Old 05-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

The speakers look great! Still no answers

Old 05-26-2018, 08:29 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

First of all, I’d really like to thank TravelingGypsye! I think I’ve finally got a good tune. I will say this though; the gain control on the LL’s, should not be messed with. If you do decide to be adventurous, the slightest adjustment of those yield huge results!! So be careful!!!!!! Those are the adjustment screws on the ends (beware!!!) The adjustment screws on the long flat side, (or top when lying down) are the filters. By turning those counterclockwise, you seem to get a fuller signal. I also have to say, those Hertz are some of the finest quality speakers I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t think twice about buying them again.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Old 05-26-2018, 09:23 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Sounds like it should now. Good job man.

Bafflingbs (05-26-2018)