Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM
mhildebrandt
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Troubleshooting.

Let me start by saying I am a novice when it comes to audio, but I want to learn.

I have a 2014 Ultra Limited with Stage I Boom Audio. So I have a 4 speaker one amp setup. The speakers I have are HD 7600320 2ohm Boom Audio. When riding last year, my wife complained the right rear speaker didn't sound right. I would fade the speakers to the front and she would be happy. I started investigating the issue yesterday and found that the right rear speak was bad. That speaker tested as being open on the multi-meter and if I moved a different speaker to that channel, it work. So for that I believe I need a new speaker.

While investigating the rear, I found front right speaker was also not working. However, that speaker ohm'd out correctly and if I moved it to another channel, it worked without issue. So, I have the following questions:
1. How do I determine if the issue is a dead channel vs a wiring issue?
2. Can it be a dead channel in amp, or would the problem be in the head unit?
3. If it is a dead channel in the HU, what are my options.

My goal is to get the system that I have working again. My budget is whatever (within reason) it takes to get it working again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mark

Old 03-30-2018, 01:11 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mhildebrandt
Let me start by saying I am a novice when it comes to audio, but I want to learn.

I have a 2014 Ultra Limited with Stage I Boom Audio. So I have a 4 speaker one amp setup. The speakers I have are HD 7600320 2ohm Boom Audio. When riding last year, my wife complained the right rear speaker didn't sound right. I would fade the speakers to the front and she would be happy. I started investigating the issue yesterday and found that the right rear speak was bad. That speaker tested as being open on the multi-meter and if I moved a different speaker to that channel, it work. So for that I believe I need a new speaker.

While investigating the rear, I found front right speaker was also not working. However, that speaker ohm'd out correctly and if I moved it to another channel, it worked without issue. So, I have the following questions:
1. How do I determine if the issue is a dead channel vs a wiring issue?
2. Can it be a dead channel in amp, or would the problem be in the head unit?
3. If it is a dead channel in the HU, what are my options.

My goal is to get the system that I have working again. My budget is whatever (within reason) it takes to get it working again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mark
Hey Mark. Welcome to the group. I admittedly am not a Rushmore expert and the others will chime in.
1&2 are the same answer. You need to test the audio out from the head unit before the amp. Again not sure with the Rushmore bikes but a service manual if you have one will help out there. Hang in there and some of the others will help out.
3. I have not seen much for failure with thos HUs. What HU is it? I know its stock but there are a 6+ inch and a 4+ inch. Sorry I know this isn't the best of answers but if we can narrow it down for the others a little, that will help.
Kris

Old 03-30-2018, 02:41 PM
mhildebrandt
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The head unit has the 6+ screen on it. I am thinking that it may be a shorted/broken wire between the amp and the speaker. I tested both poles from the amp plug to the speaker plug. I was able to show connectivity on one pole, but not the other. I will have to take the wiring harness a part and look for the break. Is there a "best way" to deal with the loom? Can I cut it and zip tie it back together, or is there a better way?

Thanks again for the help.
Mark

Old 03-30-2018, 02:58 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Hey Mark I can't help you with your Boom issues but I can help you stop your wife from complaining. Your probably not going to want to hear what it is though.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:08 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mhildebrandt
The head unit has the 6+ screen on it. I am thinking that it may be a shorted/broken wire between the amp and the speaker. I tested both poles from the amp plug to the speaker plug. I was able to show connectivity on one pole, but not the other. I will have to take the wiring harness a part and look for the break. Is there a "best way" to deal with the loom? Can I cut it and zip tie it back together, or is there a better way?

Thanks again for the help.
Mark
Yes you can cut and zip tie, if done with care. If it's easily accessible area, I'd just replace it. Wire loom is cheap and easy to install if you slide it on, not try to push the wires thru the crack in the loom. Hope that makes sense.
Kris

Old 03-30-2018, 03:10 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

And if your game for hearing some cool systems, look at the June 8-10 post.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-falls-wi.html

Kris

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 03-30-2018 at 03:12 PM.