Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing is being a beatch going back on with bt brackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:51 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fairing is being a beatch going back on with bt brackets

upper bolts from inner to outer just don’t want to line up. Windshield bolts and lower inner to outer are fine. The bolts go through the bracket freely but are a good full hole off on one side. Took way too much flexing and forcing. Rechecked the mounting don’t see any issues. Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2018, 07:09 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Stache18
upper bolts from inner to outer just don’t want to line up. Windshield bolts and lower inner to outer are fine. The bolts go through the bracket freely but are a good full hole off on one side. Took way too much flexing and forcing. Rechecked the mounting don’t see any issues. Any ideas?
Ha! You gotta go back in and pull all your wiring closer to the inner fairing. It's not the brackets. It's your harness and all your wiring. Takes a little practice. Lol!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Also, just start each bolt a couple of threads then tighten each a little at a time. If you draw in one side first the other side will stick out.

Good luck

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

When I installed the brackets on my sled before I installed anything I did an alignment check and found the legs off the brackets out of alignment by half a hole. Loosen the 2 screws holding the leg brackets to get the pieces adjusted then relocktite them once you are happy with the alignment.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Stache one thing I did to find the pressure points was to remove the headlight shell (on my bike I think it was just four Torx screws) and put the middle windshield screw in just a few turns to hold it in place. Then I gently put pressure on the outer shell and felt around through the headlight hole to find out what was making contact. In my case it wasn't the bracket it was all the wires I had to pull out of the way to make room for the amp. I used wire ties to pull them inwards towards the head unit to regain the clearance I needed. Also on my bike (2010) I had clearance issues with the big wad of wires right in front of the gauges.

Your Rushmore is certainly different but maybe the same trick will work for you also.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
When I installed the brackets on my sled before I installed anything I did an alignment check and found the legs off the brackets out of alignment by half a hole. Loosen the 2 screws holding the leg brackets to get the pieces adjusted then relocktite them once you are happy with the alignment.

But in addition to that, stuck the outside / longer bolts thru the inner fairing and BT bracket before tightening the BT bracket, then u don't have to jack w the legs. If that does not work, adjust the legs.

As mentioned, make sure all ur craftsmanship of amps and wires are not in the no fly zone of that outer fairing.

T.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:59 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Finally got back under the fairing. It was a little of all of the above. Mostly wiring pressure on the right side but also left bracket a bit off.

dynamat kit came with their foam. Cost some clearance space but also. Showed the pressure points real quick.

Thanks for for the feedback.