Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade from pbr300x4 to......???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
REPO1
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade from pbr300x4 to......???

So, I've been reading as much as possible throughout this section, and to be blunt, I am not audio expert at all. I have to rely on the advice of others in this area. I am considering upgrading my sound system again. I went fairly cheap last time around, and sort of want to stay on a tight budget again. Will probably have to take this in stages.

My current setup included the stock head unit. I added a Rockford Fosgate pbr300x4 amp, and Kicker 6.5 CS67 speakers in the fairing and tour pack.

As I have my tour pack currently removed (probably rarely will use it) I want to add speakers to my lowers, and speakers in my lids as well.
So worst case scenario, upwards of 8 speakers if I were to reinstall my tourpack. So opinions needed on what I should be looking at? Should I just ditch the tourpack speakers? I have read some good things on the Cerwin Vega amps.....would the B54 work for me here? What speakers and at what ohm do I need in this situation? Also am hoping to upgrade the HU this season. Would really like the Aquatic unit, but the price is astronomical. May have to settle for a Kenwood style deck.

Please don't start at Focal amps, as that is out of my price range, lol. I am no audiophile, I just want good clean music.

Last edited by REPO1; 03-29-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:41 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I am no expert but the B54 is not going to be enough to run 8 speakers. You already crossed off the Focal because of price. So if you want to run one amp to power all 8 speakers that's a tall order. I would think you could get a SS PN 4.1000d and run the speakers in parallel, but I also would think you would have to have the same speakers or ones with very close to the same specs to do this. Say fairing and lowers all 4 same speakers in parallel, but not sure how 6x9's in the lids paralleled with 6.5's in tour pack would work or sound. I would probably run 6 speakers and either tour pack or lids on the back. I'm sure someone with way more know how will give you some more advice (and probably better! lol).

Old 03-29-2018, 01:51 PM
REPO1
Tourer

I certainly get what you are saying. That is why I was considering just not using the tour pack speakers at all. So if I ran fairing and lower speakers, lets say at 4 ohm in parallel for the front, could I get 2 ohm 6x9's for the lids and call it good? Is that even the right way of thinking here? Would the B54 handle the 6 speakers?

Old 03-29-2018, 03:28 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Your still better off with the Soundstream PN 4.1000d for $150 and yes you could run some 4 ohm speakers in fairing and lowers in parallel some 4 ohm 6X9's in the lids like the Pioneer 6900 Pro, Polk MM692 or DD VO m6x9. I don't think anyone will suggest any 2 ohm 6x9 speakers.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

I would look in the buy/sell/trade area. There are some good deals there pretty regularly.
Kris

Old 03-29-2018, 07:25 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am about as far from an expert as there is here - but I can tell you what I did:

I read here a bunch, and most goes over my head - these guys are serious and know what they are talking about. I ran across this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...our-lunch.html posted by haze a long time ago.

I bought a Soundstream PN 4.1000d for around $150, and then bought 4 American Bass SQ6.5 speakers for just over $100 all in. I already had a Sony head unit on my bike that was running a PBR amp and was running speakers in my fairing lowers.

I realize there are way better options out there, but all more money. I installed this stuff and I am very happy so far. I am only running the front 4 speakers, but I really see no need to add any in the rear. The SS amp is big - I had to be creative making it work in my old roadglide, but it works, and I had plenty of cash left over in the end to do other stuff on the bike!

The following users liked this post:
REPO1 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:12 PM
REPO1
Tourer

Out of curiosity, how did you wire the 4 front speakers? I assume in parallel, bringing them down to 2 ohms? And are they just running off the front channel?
If you were to run rear 6x9’s, would they then have to be 2 ohm as well?

P.S. I read the entire thread you linked. It was very informative, thanks!

Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

If you are using a 4 channel amp it is actually 2 two channel amps in 1 housing. As it has been mentioned the SS PN4 1000D is a very good budget amp. You would be able to use 4 4ohm 6.5 or 6x9 speakers in parallel as long as the specs are the same if not very similar pararelled to channels 1 and 2 creating a 2 ohm load on the amp. Then on channels 3 and 4 you could use 4 ohm speakers for the rear stage.

But keep in mind it is not advised to use a 6.5 and a 6x9 speaker in parallel on the same channels of the amp as they have nothing in common and require different settings on the amp.

The following users liked this post:
REPO1 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:34 PM
REPO1
Tourer

Gotcha...so 4 6.5 speakers in the front in parallel, plus a single pair of 4 ohm 6x9’s for the rear lids should work ok then?
I wasn’t sure if you could have essentially 2 ohm in the front and 4 ohm in the rear.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by REPO1
Gotcha...so 4 6.5 speakers in the front in parallel, plus a single pair of 4 ohm 6x9’s for the rear lids should work ok then?
I wasn’t sure if you could have essentially 2 ohm in the front and 4 ohm in the rear.
Yes sir works like a charm as long as the 6.5s are all 4 ohm

Last edited by Babyboy; 03-29-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade from pbr300x4 to......???