Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying amp. Biketronics or Rockford

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
is it false then that I致e read that the tm400x4ad puts out significantly more wattage than advertised? Even calling in and talking to them they said it was closer to 600 total watts not 400
Originally Posted by SOFTPETER
I agree. Also its about fine tuning your sound not just blasting it. YMMV.
I think you should take Limp Dicks advice and buy the RF. None of us here know anything about amps and their capabilities or how to tune them for that matter.

Last edited by SBates08; 03-29-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Big trucker
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I think you should take Limp Dicks advice and buy the RF. None of us here know anything about amps and their capabilities or how to tune them for that matter.
dont get so butt hurt dude. I致e noticed everyone on here is so strongly opinionated for or against each product. So much contradicting advice and ideas. I知 not an audio junkie. I just want to hear my music.

Last edited by Big trucker; 03-29-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

dont get so butt hurt dude.
Not butt hurt at all. Bad advice is bad advice no matter how you present it.
There are some here that offer advice that are nothing more than a parrot repeating what they've read somewhere else and have no real world experience with the product they're referencing as often don't even repeat it correctly. Others just plain out give bad advice.

Last edited by SBates08; 03-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Big trucker
Road Captain

Not butt hurt at all. Bad advice is bad advice no matter how you present it.
There are some here that offer advice that are nothing more than a parrot repeating what they've read somewhere else and have no real world experience with the product they're referencing as often don't even repeat it correctly. Others just plain out give bad advice.
well I do appreciate you taking time to give me input. I don稚 know much about audio and it痴 very overwhelming

Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

well I do appreciate you taking time to give me input. I don稚 know much about audio and it痴 very overwhelming
I know for a fact it's overwhelming. We've all been there at one time or another. To help you understand a bit more about the RF400x4 here's some details, and they'll mean more to you the deeper you get into learning about setups. The RF's power is the same whether your running 2ohm or 4ohm speakers. This leaves you no room to grow your system. Let's say your running fairing speakers and tourpack speakers and both sets are 4ohm and you want to add lowers....with most amps you could parallel 2 sets of those 4ohm speakers and bring your load down to 2ohm and benefit from the amps higher output at 2ohm. This amp doesn't offer that luxury. Again, same power regardless what you're running. Personally from my experience the amp just doesn't deliver a good sound.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, but I'm hi-jacking the OP's post, but I have the 4180 with LL's. The price on this DSR1 is tempting, but am I going to achieve any noticeable improvement in sound versus what I have with the line levelers?
I understand that the BT 4180 has no user-adjustable gain control (which is partly why I bought it in the first place - KISS method) and I also believe that there are preset frequency filters built into the amp, correct? So is it a totally moot point to ditch the LL's & get a DSP? Is there a tangible amount of increase in control between the two that will help "richen" the sound I'm getting?

I should add that I'm running the BT Titan 2 speaks, which I am very (and painfully) aware are a bit bright for front stage only, so the plan is to upgrade to the DD AW 6.5 component setup eventually.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

I know for a fact it's overwhelming. We've all been there at one time or another. To help you understand a bit more about the RF400x4 here's some details, and they'll mean more to you the deeper you get into learning about setups. The RF's power is the same whether your running 2ohm or 4ohm speakers. This leaves you no room to grow your system. Let's say your running fairing speakers and tourpack speakers and both sets are 4ohm and you want to add lowers....with most amps you could parallel 2 sets of those 4ohm speakers and bring your load down to 2ohm and benefit from the amps higher output at 2ohm. This amp doesn't offer that luxury. Again, same power regardless what you're running. Personally from my experience the amp just doesn't deliver a good sound.
well I would like to add lower fairing or saddlebag speakers next year. Sounds like the bt4180 is my best bet then in keeping a simple but upgradeable system

Old 03-29-2018, 12:26 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

well I would like to add lower fairing or saddlebag speakers next year. Sounds like the bt4180 is my best bet then in keeping a simple but upgradeable system
If your going to add lowers or lid speakers, then you should probably go with 4 ohm speakers from the get go if you plan on running 6 speakers off one amp eventually. You will not be able to do that with the 2 ohm Kappas. You may want to put something like the DB Motos in the fairing, then later you can add another set in the lowers at a later date (in parallel of 2 channels when you add lowers) or go with the Polk MM 652's in the fairing and tour pack (in parallel of 2 channels when you add lid speakers) and add lid speakers later.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Houston_t
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told the coupon for pacific stereo didnt work anymore when i bought my focal not too long back, cant remember what the code was but i entered it at checkout and got 25% off so i paid $600 for it. Saying that to say find the coupon code and give it a try, had i listened to what i was told on this forum i would missed out on a great amp, or paid more for it.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JAGlide
If your going to add lowers or lid speakers, then you should probably go with 4 ohm speakers from the get go if you plan on running 6 speakers off one amp eventually. You will not be able to do that with the 2 ohm Kappas. You may want to put something like the DB Motos in the fairing, then later you can add another set in the lowers at a later date (in parallel of 2 channels when you add lowers) or go with the Polk MM 652's in the fairing and tour pack (in parallel of 2 channels when you add lid speakers) and add lid speakers later.
very good advice. I知 learning the difference between 2ohm and 4 ohm. The infinity speakers are just temporary. I needed speakers but had to stay in budget.

Quick Reply: Buying amp. Biketronics or Rockford