Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers in lids

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 AM
shaggyboiler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers in lids

I have a 4 channel amp and aftermarket stereo installed in my SG. I have been considering doing speakers in my lids for a while now. I'm just not sure on getting new lids and having them painted. I've read a lot on how the 2011 Sedona Orange is so hard to match.

Anyone had any good luck making your own cutouts or some other option? I just hate to by a set of lids have them painted and it be noticeably off.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

If you can get the paint from Harley then you should be ok. It WILL be expensive if you can get it but it will match.
Check this thread for an alternative.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...g-6x9-kit.html

Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM
shaggyboiler
Novice

Thanks, I might do the RF kit.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:05 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by shaggyboiler
Thanks, I might do the RF kit.
I'm my opinion that is the only quality alternative if you want speakers in the lids and cant get the paint. The kit fits well and will accommodate about any 6x9 speaker if you don't like the speaker that come with it.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:23 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

All you need is the paint code and someone who knows how to paint. I just had my root beer lids painted. I've only seen one other bike the same color as mine, it's rare. Cost me $500 and they match perfectly.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:27 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cshocker
All you need is the paint code and someone who knows how to paint. I just had my root beer lids painted. I've only seen one other bike the same color as mine, it's rare. Cost me $500 and they match perfectly.
$500 for the paint job or total?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:03 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

With the technology available in most body shops these days, all you need is a painted piece from your bike to leave with them to scan from and match the spray outs. Just because it's Harley paint doesn't make it impossible. My Merlot Sunglo is as hard to match as any of them and my painter nailed it....without a paint code from Harley. He's a Harley rider as well so he knows how persnickety we are to begin with. He said he hasn't came across one yet that he couldn't match. Even CVO paint.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
With the technology available in most body shops these days, all you need is a painted piece from your bike to leave with them to scan from and match the spray outs. Just because it's Harley paint doesn't make it impossible. My Merlot Sunglo is as hard to match as any of them and my painter nailed it....without a paint code from Harley. He's a Harley rider as well so he knows how persnickety we are to begin with. He said he hasn't came across one yet that he couldn't match. Even CVO paint.

I have a local guy that just needs a peek at the paint. Has done a bunch of stuff for me over the years and could care less about paint codes. He recently did some pieces for my buds Daytona Blue and nailed that shix perfect. About $100 per piece is what he has been charging.

T

Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM
Philokc
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggyboiler
I have a 4 channel amp and aftermarket stereo installed in my SG. I have been considering doing speakers in my lids for a while now. I'm just not sure on getting new lids and having them painted. I've read a lot on how the 2011 Sedona Orange is so hard to match.

Anyone had any good luck making your own cutouts or some other option? I just hate to by a set of lids have them painted and it be noticeably off.

Thanks,
Shane
Take a peak at Advan Black lids.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 AM
shaggyboiler
Novice

Originally Posted by Philokc
Take a peak at Advan Black lids.

I read they were not the best. But they do offer the color, just hate to spend 300 or more and they look terrible.

I considered doing black lids. i have my engine just about finished blacked out and have most of the bike in black. Wasn't sure it would look good.

Quick Reply: Speakers in lids