Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers in lids

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
With the technology available in most body shops these days, all you need is a painted piece from your bike to leave with them to scan from and match the spray outs. Just because it's Harley paint doesn't make it impossible. My Merlot Sunglo is as hard to match as any of them and my painter nailed it....without a paint code from Harley. He's a Harley rider as well so he knows how persnickety we are to begin with. He said he hasn't came across one yet that he couldn't match. Even CVO paint.
I had a set of hd extended bags that I was going to get painted for my bike. I went to 3 of the top notch paint shops in my area and all 3 said if I could get the paint from Harley, they would do it. Two of the 3 said they could get it close but metal flake or shade might be off a bit. I also considered getting 8" lids as they would sound better than 6x9's. I asked about the cost of just lids if they could match. $300 for just the lids that may not match perfect was the cheapest I could get.. I considered getting the hd speaker lids at $159 a piece then get the grills, 6x9 adaptors, speakers, wire harness with quick connects for the rears so I could have the factory look. I still cant get the paint from Harley for my bike. This is the reason I went with the RF kit. Yea it doesn't look like a factory setup, but for less than $400, I got all that is needed for the rear lid speaker setup. I did spend a bit more for the hertz mpx 690.3 speakers but after selling the RF speakers that came with the kit, it was $20 more.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 AM
shaggyboiler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I had a set of hd extended bags that I was going to get painted for my bike. I went to 3 of the top notch paint shops in my area and all 3 said if I could get the paint from Harley, they would do it. Two of the 3 said they could get it close but metal flake or shade might be off a bit. I also considered getting 8" lids as they would sound better than 6x9's. I asked about the cost of just lids if they could match. $300 for just the lids that may not match perfect was the cheapest I could get.. I considered getting the hd speaker lids at $159 a piece then get the grills, 6x9 adaptors, speakers, wire harness with quick connects for the rears so I could have the factory look. I still cant get the paint from Harley for my bike. This is the reason I went with the RF kit. Yea it doesn't look like a factory setup, but for less than $400, I got all that is needed for the rear lid speaker setup. I did spend a bit more for the hertz mpx 690.3 speakers but after selling the RF speakers that came with the kit, it was $20 more.

How did you find that setup for under $400?

Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

pm sent.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Have you checked with Harley for factory paint matched CVO lids. I bought Black Pearl CVO lids with grills and screws from my local dealer. They were $592 (with tax) out the door with 15% discount. Boardtrackerharley.com has factory matched lids for $231 ea. Might as well get factory matched paint especially if you have to buy lids, then pay $300 to get them painted!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 PM
REPO1
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
pm sent.

I would like to know this as well!! I'm still trying to figure out the best option for my lids as they are two tone, with 2 different color pinstripes. Try and match that crap..........................

Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by REPO1
I would like to know this as well!! I'm still trying to figure out the best option for my lids as they are two tone, with 2 different color pinstripes. Try and match that crap..........................
I looked on eBay for the kits that had "or best offer" and gave them an offer. $375 excepted so I bought them. Not saying it will work again but why not try.