Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Only Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Fire87
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing Only Setup

Hi All,
First, before I ask for advice, I would like to thank everybody for all of the invaluable information I have learned on this forum from all of its members. Right now I currently have a 2016 SGS, and I am looking to upgrade my audio system. I will be doing a fairing only upgrade with speakers and an amp, with plans to expand in the future. Currently everything is stock, with the 6.5 infotainment system. I am stuck between 2 setup choices, and I am looking for input from members who have experiences with them. I have read these forums front to back, but came out feeling very overwhelmed. Any/All advice, positive or negative is much appreciated.

Option 1: Arc Audio 600.4, Hertz SPL Show 165.1, and ST25 Tweeters
*I chose this because a friend has this setup and I am very impressed with the clarity and volume, but it did feel a little "bright" at higher volumes.

Option 2: BT4180/7.1 Pro Speaker Package
*I personally have not heard this in person

*I am looking for ease of install because I am by no means an audio expert. I am also not looking to enter any audio competitions.
*I am looking for ease of expansion because I will eventually do speaker lids
*Clarity and volume at 75+ are important, but with a warmer sound. Not looking for more of a bass/low sound at the moment, potentially in the future.
*Budget is not an issue, I am willing to spend money for quality and would like to do this right the first time.
* Currently i am leaning towards BT setup, I know it is pricey, but I like the Lifetime warranty, customer service and plug and play ability. If i did the arc/Hertz setup I would have my friend install.
*I did not find any real comparisons directly comparing the two of these speakers. Was wondering if anyone ran both and their thoughts between the two.

I would like to thank you in advance for any/all help and advice. And I apologize for the long winded post.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:24 PM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First welcome to the forum!

For future expansion I would go with Option 1. Install is not hard and the forum is here to help!

I had a BT4180 and while it will sound good, I don't think it will be what you're looking for. I now run a pro audio setup thanks to one of the guys here and it is loud and clear! But to me, it does miss the warm feeling, which I will work on next.

The pros will chime in soon!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Dice21
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Go with option 1. You already know how well it sounds, and it's a good start if you want to upgrade. I get what you're saying about the sound, but if you expect bass out of a two speaker set up, you'll be disappointed with just about every system out here.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Djcamis
First welcome to the forum!

For future expansion I would go with Option 1. Install is not hard and the forum is here to help!

I had a BT4180 and while it will sound good, I don't think it will be what you're looking for. I now run a pro audio setup thanks to one of the guys here and it is loud and clear! But to me, it does miss the warm feeling, which I will work on next.

The pros will chime in soon!
Agree with DJ. Option one, but only if ur gonna stop at 4 speakers as that amp will not provide any benefit for parallel Ops.

ARC, Focal, Hertz HDP4 w JL amp tray, etc will all get u solid power and SQ. Budget amps also avail.

I would not install a PA only speaker setup. Just not at all dynamic thus must be supplemented via other stages. There are far warmer PAs if u are committed to going that route, but u are correct that the SVs are solid SQ speakers just a bit bright.

T

Old 03-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

I would agree with the others and go option #1 with a possible different speaker/tweeter combo and a different amp for future expansion.

The ST25 are tough to get mounted because of the depth.

I see you are located in Illinois. Maybe you are close to other members were you can go and listen to there systems and get different opinions.

IF you are close to Chicago there are a handful of us in this area.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Fire87
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your time and replies. My end goal is speaker lids and fairing setup, no lowers. Lids will be next year most likely. I will definitely go with the 600.4 per your suggestions. And I am not committed to any speaker, which doesn't make this easy for someone who is new to the audio world. You guys have recommended many different speaker options, but is hard to choose with lack of knowledge and hearing the system in person. Are there any other speaker options that would do well in a fairing only setup for this year that pair well with the 600.4? I apologize for beating a dead horse on this topic.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire87
Thank you all for your time and replies. My end goal is speaker lids and fairing setup, no lowers. Lids will be next year most likely. I will definitely go with the 600.4 per your suggestions. And I am not committed to any speaker, which doesn't make this easy for someone who is new to the audio world. You guys have recommended many different speaker options, but is hard to choose with lack of knowledge and hearing the system in person. Are there any other speaker options that would do well in a fairing only setup for this year that pair well with the 600.4? I apologize for beating a dead horse on this topic.
Yes Sir. Since you're going with a two speaker set up the DD AW 6.5's and the Arc Moto's are great choices!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 PM
yank721
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus

Yes Sir. Since you're going with a two speaker set up the DD AW 6.5's and the Arc Moto's are great choices!
I agree, add some AT 28 tweets and it’s a solid choice!

Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Welcome Hoss. These folks here will get you straight no doubt. I suggest someone quote him on the "only upgrade" line a few months down the road

I'm gonna be the floater in the punch bowl here and toss out an idea that some of us have come to appreciate, and that is speakers in the lowers. Having an extra set of 6.5" speakers in front of you doubles your sound stage in your face so you can hear more music with less volume. I ain't smart enough to say that is the best scenario, but once I fired up the lowers on my bike it was a night and day difference from the four standard audio projection points on a bagger. If your bike ain't a bubblehead then that could be a cheap way to get a lot of sound where your ears will appreciate it.

If you are interested in going the pro audio route that gives you four speakers (six I guess if you use horns) to cover a large bit of audio spectrum without having to get creative behind the fairing.

I realize you may not want to fool with the lowers, but I found it to be easier and cheaper than dealing with lid speakers and I didn't lose any cargo storage except for the glove boxes. I was able to fit an amp in my fairing that drives all six speakers with ease.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Any way you want to go these folks will guide you there and support you once you get it all plugged up.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

I went with a JL Audio XD400/4v2 amp, C5-650x speakers and a Kenwood 998 HU for my two speaker setup. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Quick Reply: Fairing Only Setup