Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PN1000 wiring question Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 10:49 AM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PN1000 wiring question Help please!

Im about to tackle the project of installing this amp on 15 road glide on Friday and after a bunch of reading and searching I think I have most of the plans and process nailed down. I’ve already installed Hertz hcx 165’s in the fairing using biketronics spacers and hog tunes grills and will be using their line leveler to wire the amp.

Question is about the REM power. I have the power lines with inline fuse from previous amp on old bike that’s 8 gauge and should be fine I think. I didn’t find anything in the instructions saying what gauge to use for the REM power that turns amp off when bike shuts down. I have some 18 gauge wire and weather proof quick splices that I was going to use to tie the rem power into either the headlamp or cigarette lighter power wire. Will this be sufficient?

Also if someone could chime in on mounting location that would be great. Plan as of now is to mount it above the headlight housing securing it in this area with Velcro and maybe zip ties. Is it absolutely necessary to shave off the tabs at top of the housing where wiring harnesses are currently attached and if not how did you go about getting it to fit? Keeping in mind that any type of metal fab is not in my wheelhouse at all.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Old 03-06-2018, 12:50 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you using a stock or after market head unit? If aftermarket you can use the wire for power antenna. If not and your plan is to use the cig. lighter the same size as the wire leading to it is fine. Rem wire is just a exciter to let the amp know to turn on.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Lastride
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

On the road glide there is a remote turn on wire with a empty plug in the red area. I'm almost positive it's a blue wire.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 PM
HDK
Tourer

I'm using a Harley 6.5 head unit that I purchased off the forums. Thanks for the info. Lastride I will see if I can look up wiring diagram and check out the area You mentioned.

Thanks,

HDK

Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 PM
HDK
Tourer

Ended up using the hot wire the runs into the headlamp that I read someone else used. I used a weatherproof quick splice connector to tie into it and all works as it should. Sounds awesome with the Hertz hcx speakers I have in the fairing. Very pleased with the sound now. Just having a little issue getting front cap back on. Amp fit is pretty tight on top of the head lamp. Ran out of daylight today and getting a little cool out so I will get that part worked out tomorrow and take it for a ride.

Thanks for the help,