Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Limited Complete System Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Stovetop535
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2011 Limited Complete System Build Help

Hello

I am looking to replace the audio system on my 2011 Limited. I previously came from the world of sport bikes and a vrod so my audio knowledge for these bikes is strictly what I have read. I ride both with and without the tour pack, so I am want to make sure and get quality speakers in the fairing. I have read mixed reviews on speakers in the lowers and am not sure if I want to invest in adding speakers there or not. I do ride a fair amount with my wife on day trips, so I will be replacing the speakers in the tour pack as well. I can spend up to $1500 on the entire setup, if needed. I would rather save up and spend the money up front, rather than upgrade and change here in a couple months.

For speakers I was looking at the wdx 6 motto from Spork Customs or the Polk MM652. Anyone able to compare the two or comment on if the motos are worth the extra money?

For an amp I was ready to order the soundstream pn41000 until I read that I would most likely loose my fm radio. Maybe I am old school but I would rather not loose fm radio. Would the BT4180 allow me to keep FM radio? Are there any other amps that will power those speakers and allow me to keep fm?

For a head unit, in previous cars I always used Apline units. Do the head units have to be marine rated? If you have and recommendations for head units I would appreciate it. One thread I read recommended the Alpine CDE-HD149BT and while I really like the look of that head unit, I am not sure I want to spend that much on a head unit for a motorcycle.

Thanks
Alex

Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

The DB Moto's and the Polk MM652's are about the same price? The HU does not have to be marine rated but you'll need a rain cover for protection. Take a look at Sony, Kenwood or Pioneer for your HU. The BT amp will allow you to keep FM. But so will the Arc moto 600.4 which I think is a better sounding amp.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Stovetop535
Cruiser

The dbmoto speakers are 185 shipped, best price I have found on the polks currently are 135 shipped. Little bit more for the dbmotos.

I'll check out the arc moto amp.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Stovetop535
Cruiser

Also, is a support like this needed for an amp?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davids...&ul_noapp=true

Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Stovetop that is the exact bracket I used and it worked out great for me. I also have the DBX Motos hooked to a SS pn4.1000d amp and they really do sound good. They also are built like tanks. When I took them out of the box their construction dwarfed most 6 1/2 speakers I had ever seen.

As far as losing FM reception with the SS amp I did notice a drop in reception but that was expected because I live in a rural area. There is only one full power FM station that I am aware of within 60 miles of my home. If you live near a big city you may not notice the drop as much. That being said I can still pick up about three or four stations clearly. That probably don't sound too good to city folks but before that I could only pick up about six or seven stations clearly. YMMV.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If your going to change the HU I'd suggest contacting Badd Azz Bikes and using their amp tray. Much better tray than the one in the link but it only works with aftermarket HU's.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

You might take a look at the focal fdp sport amp. No loss of fm reception on that amp and it will on that amp tray easily.

The following users liked this post:
Stovetop535 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Stovetop535
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
If your going to change the HU I'd suggest contacting Badd Azz Bikes and using their amp tray. Much better tray than the one in the link but it only works with aftermarket HU's.
I will give them a call. I am planning on swapping out the head unit. I do not use the factory comm system or cb. Just out of curiosity, what makes their tray better?

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Stovetop that is the exact bracket I used and it worked out great for me. I also have the DBX Motos hooked to a SS pn4.1000d amp and they really do sound good. They also are built like tanks. When I took them out of the box their construction dwarfed most 6 1/2 speakers I had ever seen.
So in your opinion, worth spending a little extra on the motos? Are you running yours in the tour pack as well as the fairing?

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
You might take a look at the focal fdp sport amp. No loss of fm reception on that amp and it will on that amp tray easily.
Ill check it out. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:21 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Stovetop535
I will give them a call. I am planning on swapping out the head unit. I do not use the factory comm system or cb. Just out of curiosity, what makes their tray better?So in your opinion, worth spending a little extra on the motos? Are you running yours in the tour pack as well as the fairing?Ill check it out. Thanks.
It's just a better made tray especially if you're running larger amps.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

So in your opinion, worth spending a little extra on the motos? Are you running yours in the tour pack as well as the fairing?
I haven't tried the other speakers you have mentioned so I can't compare, but if other users who have give the SQ edge to the Motos I would gladly spend the extra money. I mean $180 shipped from Spork isn't much more than those cheesy Boom! speakers Harley sells for these bikes and they are ten times the quality. As John Boy and Billy would say "Just look at em!":

And Spork didn't waste any time shipping them either.

As far as the mounting bracket goes this is the bracket you listed with a very large SS pn4.1000d amp on it. You can be the judge as to whether or not it will fit your needs. The issue with stock head units and pre-Rushmore fairings is the mounting ears of this amp go into little "ears" on the frame rails, so they bear part of the weight of the amp. I'm sure there are better mounts out there, but for what I was attempting this one worked and allowed plenty of room underneath to attach my CB module and the power supply for my Garmin GPS.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

Quick Reply: 2011 Limited Complete System Build Help