Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange problem with stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Strange problem with stereo

I'm trying to chase down a problem I posted in an earlier thread where the front speakers were cutting out when the engine was running. I thought I had a loose RCA cable. Pulled the fairing and everything is tight. I figured I would push the bike to the edge of the garage and fire it up. Ignition is still in the ACCY position, stereo is on but not playing anything. As soon as I start pushing the bike (kickstand on the ground) the right bag lid speaker starts popping. I stop it stops. I put my foot on the floorboard and it does it again. I'm thinking "what in the actual F is going on". I check all the grounds and can't find a damn thing loose or corroded. Amp is grounded to the post under the seat.

Figured I would double check my amp and HU settings to a recommendation from Gannicus:

Set the filters on the amp to HP. Set the crossovers to 80 Hz.
Go to your custom settings on the HU.
Turn the DSEE off.
Turn the HPF off
Use these settings on your 10 band equalizer:

Band 1 +2 DB
Band 2 + 3 DB
Band 3 + 4 DB
Band 4 + 0 DB
Band 5. + 1 DB
Band 6. - 4 DB
Band 7 +2 DB
Band 8 +2 DB
Band 9 +1 DB
Band 10 +3 DB

Bike not running with stereo on, now the fronts sound great, left rear is screaming, right rear is playing like half the volume of left. Speaker connections are all tight.

I'm stumped and open to anything at this point.

Sony MEX810G
SS PN4.1000D
Hertz HCX 6.5"
Hertz HCX 6x9

Zach

Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

I had a similar problem last year. Check ed all connections over and over and even changed rca's. Eventually found out the rca output on back of head unit broke the solder joint. I found it by wiggling every single wire at every connection 1 at a time and found the problem. I was lucky head unit was still under warranty. Hope this helps a little. Good luck and report what you find.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Well, I thought I was getting somewhere. Got it sounding great with the engine off. I was in an accident last May. Turns out the shop that did the repair work didn't wire the rear speakers back up correctly. Got that fixed and also found one of the rear speaker wires was pretty thin at the amp connection. So I fixed that and got everything sounding real good...... until I turned the bike on and went for a ride. Left rear speaker went haywire. Lots of buzzing and popping coming out of it. I shut the stereo off and kept riding, but could still hear it making noise. I decided to pull over and unplug the speakers to prevent any damage.

I'm beginning to think I need to re-wire everything. This sucks. Do you guys recommend separating the power and ground wires as much as possible? Right now I've got them running together in some sheathing.

Also, ground to the frame or battery?

Zach

Last edited by Biggzed; 02-09-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:33 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

Ground to the battery. I had the same popping from speakers when my rca plug was bad. Even with radio off or faded away from the speaker. Try changing rca cables. That is what sounds like to me is a connection.