Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a chance on a amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
C'mon back good buddy!! I used a CB for years as well but they didn't have cell phones back then. lol!
Yup I still use em to this day just don't have any use for one on my sled.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:05 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Ok guys first off I'm using one of my original posts to ask a question I've been thinking ( I know oh ****) but and btw thanks again for all your help but my question is concerning fm reception I was thinking I should have put the amp in the tour pack would that help and any known drawbacks in doing that not that I want to take it all apart again.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by big- mike
Ok guys first off I'm using one of my original posts to ask a question I've been thinking ( I know oh ****) but and btw thanks again for all your help but my question is concerning fm reception I was thinking I should have put the amp in the tour pack would that help and any known drawbacks in doing that not that I want to take it all apart again.
Dear Cave Man Mike, u need to move past FM and find higher quality audio sources. Unless ur still using a pager, u should be able to get all kinds of killer source tunes / talk radio / etc directly from your phone or stick which blows away FM. Some solid road trip playlist should also be a top priority.
U have done an amazing job putting your audio setup together so take the time to feed it the higher quality audio sources it deserves.

T.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:11 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior

Ok got it thanks

Old 01-29-2018, 07:10 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior

My main source for tunes is my MP3 so I do have a few new one I'll just fill up. My smart phone doesn't have a output port so I can't use that . Btw I like the cave man thing I'm a low tech guy in a high tech world but I keep trying to catch up lol

Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

My main source for tunes is my MP3 so I do have a few new one I'll just fill up. My smart phone doesn't have a output port so I can't use that . Btw I like the cave man thing I'm a low tech guy in a high tech world but I keep trying to catch up lol
My nick name has been cave man for a long thus I'm right there with you. I have zero FM on the sled so was forced into some pretty cool sources.
Now if u want to try and get FM back, it could very well be an option but take some time and do some google research on reducing class d amp EMI. Some guys are having luck and others not so much. The amp in the tour pack imho would be a good start as long as ur antenna is not in the same spot and u do what u can to shield power, ground, etc.

I will try and research as well. U never know what we will find as this is why we all tend to enjoy these creative audio challenges.

T

Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Did you change out the HU too? I can't remember what all you've done up to this point.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Because I'm running my stock HU (like you) and prefer to keep it, I'm adding the Bluetooth Metra BT-HD01 (external) unit which adds BT, song titles & artist show up on the HK screen, and can be controlled by the stock hand switches. My challenge will be to fit everything in behind the fairing but I think I have that under control as the BT unit is much smaller than I was told. If you're getting rid of your CB module, even easier. You can also have Iron Cross add BT to your stock HK unit and it's internal but as I understand, you can't control anything...it's just playback.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior

Did not change the hu "yet" so with my antenna in the back moving the amp back there could still be a problem. Got it ! Haven't been able to get her out yet to see how it is now we're getting 6 to ten inches of snow

Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

If you must listen to FM radio, there is a APP called "Tune In Radio" and I'm sure there are others, that will allow you to listen to any radio station that you would like.