Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound insulate the fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:47 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Sound insulate the fairing

Has anyone who has used any kind of soundproofing like dynamat or similar material to insulate the inside of the fairing think its worth the cost? What about the sprayon types like DEi boom mat sound deadening spray?
I installed new amp and speakers,inside the pods, and I going to try the polyfill wrapped around the pod. Cant hurt its cheap.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I've done the polyfil.......do a search about the dynamat.......I remember someone doing it.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by rsking45
Has anyone who has used any kind of soundproofing like dynamat or similar material to insulate the inside of the fairing think its worth the cost? What about the sprayon types like DEi boom mat sound deadening spray?
I installed new amp and speakers,inside the pods, and I going to try the polyfill wrapped around the pod. Cant hurt its cheap.
If the pods are still installed as the speaker enclosure I don't think ur gonna find much value in the Dynamat on the outer fairing.

T.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:28 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There used to be a set of patterns making there rounds on here to help make the Dynamat layout and installation project run smother. Some one my be able to help you out with it.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:08 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior

I had to do the pod mod so the speakers I bought would work . I cant justify spending 200 for a set of brackets to do away with the pods. I’m thinking of buying some adhesive spray and polyfill and wrapping the pods in it.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I had to do the pod mod so the speakers I bought would work . I cant justify spending 200 for a set of brackets to do away with the pods. I’m thinking of buying some adhesive spray and polyfill and wrapping the pods in it.
None of the audio mods we do can be justified....we just do it Lol.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

If your speakers never change I agree it's hard to spend the money on brackets, but stay in this forum long enough and things will change and you'll wish you had the brackets from the start. I know I did.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I was told that some sound deafening on the inner and outer fairing wouldn’t hurt. I’m planning brackets for mine though.

Garrett

Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior

Im not doubting anyone here,but why is it better to use the brackets instead of the pods?
I know squat about audio stuff and how it works. Im sure ill be looking at getting the brackets but not now.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Im not doubting anyone here,but why is it better to use the brackets instead of the pods?
I know squat about audio stuff and how it works. Im sure ill be looking at getting the brackets but not now.
I'm the cave man of the group but speakers move air. Some like to move more than others within their operating cavities.
Most of the speakers I used within the pods were getting snuffed out so I drilled a few (6) holes in each. Sound improved. Made the holes a little bigger, sound improved. Removed the pods and installed Dynamat and sound continued to get better.

Keep in mind that there are speakers that do like being in those pods so hopefully a few guys can chime.

Part 2 of this is the pain in the **** involved with taking the pods off every time u want to tinker with ur audio, be it a possible loose connection or trying new shix out. Getting kicked in the ***** is very close to the feeling I get when I record and replaced the pods. Plus I needed stitches on my knuckles after each R&R cycle.

Plus removing the pods opens up usable space for audio accessories like external crossovers and micro amps.

Better sound depending on the speaker, much better access, and more room for advanced shix are the primary reasons I can think of.

Not the end of the world if u don't want to pay the cash for the prackets, however be cognizant of the speakers desire to breathe just a bit.

T.

Quick Reply: Sound insulate the fairing