Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound insulate the fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:10 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Sounds like i might have to vent the pods more than I did. I put 1 3in hole in each pod and put polyfill in the bottom 1/2 of the pods.Probably should open up the pods more and wrap the pods instead of putting the polyfill inside

Last edited by rsking45; 01-10-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I stuffed my pods with polyfill, probably went a little overboard, but it sounds good.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I'm the cave man of the group but speakers move air. Some like to move more than others within their operating cavities.
Most of the speakers I used within the pods were getting snuffed out so I drilled a few (6) holes in each. Sound improved. Made the holes a little bigger, sound improved. Removed the pods and installed Dynamat and sound continued to get better.

Keep in mind that there are speakers that do like being in those pods so hopefully a few guys can chime.

Part 2 of this is the pain in the **** involved with taking the pods off every time u want to tinker with ur audio, be it a possible loose connection or trying new shix out. Getting kicked in the ***** is very close to the feeling I get when I record and replaced the pods. Plus I needed stitches on my knuckles after each R&R cycle.

Plus removing the pods opens up usable space for audio accessories like external crossovers and micro amps.

Better sound depending on the speaker, much better access, and more room for advanced shix are the primary reasons I can think of.

Not the end of the world if u don't want to pay the cash for the prackets, however be cognizant of the speakers desire to breathe just a bit.

T.
The mm652 do move some air. Initially I made 1 3in hole in each speaker pod. I could feel the air pushing out of the 3in hole. So today not much happing so I took the pods back off and opened up that pods. The speakers are breathing better now.

I don’t think getting the pods off and on is that hard. Takes me about 5 minutes now to get a pod off. I have a mini 1/4 ratchet that hold 1/4 nut driver that works great getting the 3 dreaded bolts out.
But this forum has a way of getting me to spend more than I want,so the biketronics problably on my bike soon

Last edited by rsking45; 01-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:55 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,607 Likes on 3,247 Posts

Everyone's ears are different is probably the truest statement out there. That being said, I have Hertz HCX 165's in my fairing and tried them in the pods (that are ported) and tried the brackets. I removed the brackets and put them back in the pods. It sounds better in the pods and a little more mid-bass to me.

I thought about selling the brackets, but decided I better keep them for the next time. You just never know!!!

Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I am lost.. coming from a different A/V world. Back Boxes are required in installations to make the speakers work correctly, especially the bass component.. If you drill vent holes or remove the pods, where is the back pressure coming from ??

Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

When the front fairing is on the whole fairing is pretty well sealed off. Not 100% but enough to act as your speaker enclosure.

Garrett

Old 03-03-2018, 08:33 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rsking45
Has anyone who has used any kind of soundproofing like dynamat or similar material to insulate the inside of the fairing think its worth the cost? What about the sprayon types like DEi boom mat sound deadening spray?
I installed new amp and speakers,inside the pods, and I going to try the polyfill wrapped around the pod. Cant hurt its cheap.
I did......Soundproofing Dynamat material so that the 7.1 BT Pro's will shine...Oh yeah, BT 4180 helps too. Good luck....Next time I take off the fairing , I can shoot you some photos.

Last edited by duglaura&flhti; 03-03-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Geary Thomas
Tourer

Originally Posted by SSpeeDEMONSS
When the front fairing is on the whole fairing is pretty well sealed off. Not 100% but enough to act as your speaker enclosure.

Garrett
Makes sense, like bookshelf speakers
but what about everyone drilling holes in them.. should change the dynamics

Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas
Makes sense, like bookshelf speakers
but what about everyone drilling holes in them.. should change the dynamics
It's going to depend on the speaker. If the installed speaker ends up sounding muddy then your only choice is to relieve the back pressure for the speaker to perform. Enclosure space more times than not is speaker specific. These pods are designed for the Boom speakers so you have to adjust accordingly.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
It's going to depend on the speaker. If the installed speaker ends up sounding muddy then your only choice is to relieve the back pressure for the speaker to perform. Enclosure space more times than not is speaker specific. These pods are designed for the Boom speakers so you have to adjust accordingly.

NOW, that makes sense !! Thanks...

Quick Reply: Sound insulate the fairing