Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experts help a Newbie Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:43 PM
hoggzzer
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

OK. So where do I go from here....Kappas are 2ohm so the system I was thinking is out the window??
Like I said need some help
And still want to do lowers on the dual cooled ultra......

Old 12-30-2017, 06:13 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Ok, just a suggestion. It sounds like you are keeping the stock hu. Rockford Fosgate makes a kit with all the wiring, mounting hardware and speakers even. You can get the kit off ebay for less than $800. It includes the tm400xad amp which is a strong clean amp. By the time you spend $$ for an amp wire harness, the amp itself, speakers and rear wire harness, you will have almost the same $$ amount. Run the front channel to both fairing speakers and the lowers. Run the rear channel to your tour pack. That way you will still have fade control front to rear. As far as speakers go, with that kit, you can run what ever you like as long as they can handle the power. You will have to purchase speakers for the lowers and rears. That kit only comes with the front speakers but it does have the rear wire harness and 4 channel amp. Once you have the fairing and rear speakers amped, you wont need the lowers. Just a thought.....

Last edited by travelingypsye; 12-30-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:32 PM
hoggzzer
Tourer

Yea looked at that too, but then I'm spending more on 2 more sets of speakers. A couple hundred $$ for sure. Might as well go do the
Hogtunes Limited-Rm ($999)kit cuz they make the lowers for the dual cooled.......thought I could do better $$ wise and quality wise without doing one of the kits.......
AGAIN, that's why I asked for help from people who know WAY more than I do.....

Old 12-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Tap the brakes boys. The TM400xad is 100x4 @ 4. In parallel that is a damn weak platform. Bridged it's a very nice amp.

T.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 PM
hoggzzer
Tourer

Well, hopefully someone chimes in to get me where i want to end up:0)

Old 12-31-2017, 05:50 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,594 Likes on 3,245 Posts

Not that I'll be a ton of help and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, lower fairing speakers are not an easy option on a Limited. Moving the cooling is necessary to install speakers in the lowers.

I don't have the experience of a lot of trial and error like some of these guys. I will say, I have a 14 Limited and have used a couple different amps. I currently have an Arc 600.4 that I don't see coming out any time soon.

My opinion, If you plan on having a detach TP, I'd put the strongest front sound stage I could afford. While I can hear my rear speakers going down the road, they are not prominent. They are more like a fill in sound.

Edit:
You are also going to need a BT line leveler for your bike. Just a thought, right now in the classifieds you can get a Line leveler for 60 dollars and an Arc 600.4 for 300 dollars.

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 12-31-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:22 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Okay - So on a $700-900 budget the first thing you need is a quality amp. The guys are absolutely correct. The Rockford PBR set up is 6 years old. Audio is like dog years. That would make that system 42 years old!! Lol! All jokes aside. Stay away from those amps!!
The JL 400/4 is on sale at Amazon for $299. I'd start there. I would also forget about trying to modify the lowers on that bike to accept 6.5 speakers.

It can be done but it's a PITA and the end result doesn't justify the work. I ran the kappa's in my uppers an lowers many moons ago. With the lowers disconnected. It's not a huge noticeable difference in sound. Hard to believe but true. Focus on your fairing speakers and rear pods for now. Also consider adding lids in the future for when you take off your tour pak.

The kappa's will be plenty loud up front with the JL amp. Also gonna need a BT355 line leveler for the radio and some 1/2 spacers for the rear pods if you want to run Kappas back there.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I agree T. Haven't seen an influx of those amps in a while. They don't even work good as a boat anchor.
I think people new to this forum start by reading the "Official 2014 Rushmore Audio" thread but get bored and don't read it all the way through. That thread starts with the RF amps moves on to the BT stuff then to the non-plug and play setups but is still out of date.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Okay - So on a $700-900 budget the first thing you need is a quality amp. The guys are absolutely correct. The Rockford PBR set up is 6 years old. Audio is like dog years. That would make that system 42 years old!! Lol! All jokes aside. Stay away from those amps!!
The JL 400/4 is on sale at Amazon for $299. I'd start there. I would also forget about trying to modify the lowers on that bike to accept 6.5 speakers.

It can be done but it's a PITA and the end result doesn't justify the work. I ran the kappa's in my uppers an lowers many moons ago. With the lowers disconnected. It's not a huge noticeable difference in sound. Hard to believe but true. Focus on your fairing speakers and rear pods for now. Also consider adding lids in the future for when you take off your tour pak.

The kappa's will be plenty loud up front with the JL amp. Also gonna need a BT355 line leveler for the radio and some 1/2 spacers for the rear pods if you want to run Kappas back there.
Totally agree with G on the Fairing focus followed by the TP and Lids. The lowers will take some creative effort.
I know all watts are not created equal but u will grow out of the kappas and when u do the JL400/4 pushing 75wx4@4 just puts u in a very small sandbox for next tier speakers, unless u get into the bridge mode and add more amps to your setup.
U do anything other than Fairing and TP with low rms Speaks or high efficiency speaks, that amp will be a do-over.

What is ur true budget?
What does ur play list look like?
Riding style?
Audio goals?

T.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 AM
hoggzzer
Tourer

Thanks Gannicus. Like I said. Thats why I asked...
And MMXIWG...You are correct. The more I read the more i didn't know. Thats why I POSTED. There are so many guys out there that have tried and true systems that help us all not waste our money or time.
NUTZ??????

Which JL Amp? XD400x4

Last edited by hoggzzer; 12-31-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Experts help a Newbie Audio Upgrade