Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rushmore speakers and amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 AM
SG 103
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rushmore speakers and amp

I have a 2015 Street Glide Special with 6.5 Boombox. I would like to hear my fm radio on the highway where I do most of my riding. I have limited data on my phone so streaming music off my phone is no good. I like to listen to Country music and I like to be able to hear the news and radio announcers.
I'm thinking amp and fairing speakers. I don't care for the look of lid speakers but if necessary so be it. I also have a chopped tour pack for my bike and maybe I could fit pods back there.
As far as budget goes, I can go pretty high. I'd have no problem doing 1500 to 2500 Canadian dollars just for fairing speakers and amp if I could get clear music on the highway. For a great system I don't mind spending the money. I am limited to the head unit as I am used to my navigation and like it.
Also I have a 10 inch aftermarket windshield on the bike, that makes a considerable difference.
Arnold

Old 12-28-2017, 05:52 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

I just installed a Rockford Fosgate tm 400xad amp and hertz mpx 165.3 speakers on my 2018 SG. I am using the same head unit as you. As far as listening to the radio, I have no problem. You might pick up a cheap mp3 player and just download what music you want. When plugged into the usb port on the boombox, you can use your thumb controls to pick what you want to hear and it will charge the mp3 player while plugged in. Just a thought.....

Old 12-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I just installed a Rockford Fosgate tm 400xad amp and hertz mpx 165.3 speakers on my 2018 SG. I am using the same head unit as you. As far as listening to the radio, I have no problem. You might pick up a cheap mp3 player and just download what music you want. When plugged into the usb port on the boombox, you can use your thumb controls to pick what you want to hear and it will charge the mp3 player while plugged in. Just a thought.....
Yes buy a cheap used iPod on eBay...load it up...stick it in the cubby with the usb and leave it there. Works great!

Old 12-31-2017, 04:57 PM
SG 103
Intermediate

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I like your new bike, love the anniversary color. Are those Hertz mpx 165.3 speakers ok in the rain?I've seen good posts on the Cerwin-Vega CV B52 also. I don't know about the mp3, I sometimes listen to the music on my phone but it soon gets repetitious and I go back to radio. I often ride all day.
I've been listening to audio systems on youtube and like some of the crisp sounding systems. The whole thing seems to be growing on me. I used to hate the look of lid speakers, now not so much.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:00 PM
SG 103
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
Yes buy a cheap used iPod on eBay...load it up...stick it in the cubby with the usb and leave it there. Works great!
You have a nice bike also. I see you drove Kawasaki before, I have a Kawasaki Vaquero in green.

Last edited by SG 103; 12-31-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:02 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Along with the amp and speakers you might want to consider adding the sirius xm module to the head unit. One of the best upgrades I've done to the bike.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:35 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SG 103
I like your new bike, love the anniversary color. Are those Hertz mpx 165.3 speakers ok in the rain?I've seen good posts on the Cerwin-Vega CV B52 also. I don't know about the mp3, I sometimes listen to the music on my phone but it soon gets repetitious and I go back to radio. I often ride all day.
I've been listening to audio systems on youtube and like some of the crisp sounding systems. The whole thing seems to be growing on me. I used to hate the look of lid speakers, now not so much.
Thanks on the bike. This in my first new bike. You can buy a cheap mp3 player off ebay and load over 1000 songs on it. Delete and add as you wish. I only have 200 or so and still have 3+ hrs of tunes. As far as the rear lid speakers, I wasn't a big fan of the HD 5x7 boom set up but like the idea of 6x9s. As far as the hertz speakers, I had their hcx 6.5 in a couple of other bikes and loved them. The are loud and crisp. The millie pro's (mpx) series are new to hertz and just the next generation. As far as being water proof, I don't think any speaker is 100% water proof but these are water resistant.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Forget the MP3 player and just download directly to a $5 USB flash drive and plug it into your USB port , I have over 400 songs on mine with lots of space for more. That doesn't help listening to announcers on FM radio though.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stopit
Forget the MP3 player and just download directly to a $5 USB flash drive and plug it into your USB port , I have over 400 songs on mine with lots of space for more. That doesn't help listening to announcers on FM radio though.
Do you still have the ability to change tunes with thumb controls?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 AM
SG 103
Intermediate

I"ve been reading in this forum a lot lately. So far this is my opinion: there are two audio systems; one at highway speed that needs to be loud and clear, one for bike night where you compare your system to others where you need loud, clear, and sound quality, and the right tune.
It's all very interesting and I'm enjoying it. Right now I intend to start with a strong amp and good quality speakers in fairing, with line leveler. I should get something I can add to if I decide to later.
I should add right now I can bluetooth to my Bell MAG-9, and Sena Freewire. The sound quality is not good in the headset. I'm really looking for a winter project to add to my bike, I just want to make my bike better.

Quick Reply: Rushmore speakers and amp