Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridged JL MX280/4 in 12 SG questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Bridged JL MX280/4 in 12 SG questions

Bike: 2012 SG
System: Fairing only
HU: Aquatics AQ-MP-5UBT-HS (internal amp off)(40 is max volume; 3/4=30)
Amp: JL Audio MX 280/4 (Bridged - see below)
-Channel mode: 4ch (Bridged in Stereo)
-Input voltage: low
-Filter Freq: 80Hz
-Filter Mode: HP
-Input Sensitivity(gains): 12 o'clock
Speakers: DD AW 6.5 w/ AT28 tweeter in grilles

My tuning ability sucks, and this is the deepest I've gotten so far, so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to do a "final" tune. I find myself always running volume up to 30 while I am riding, and am concerned I may be stressing the system.

Questions are:
  1. How close to "tuned" can I get by ear without a DMM?
  2. If I want to use a DMM to check output (23.7 v per the manual), do I really have to cut out all my heat shrunk, crimped, taped final connections and start again? If so, is it worth it, or is by ear the final say so anyway?
  3. Any suggestions on Filter Freq, Filter Mode, Input Sensitivity setting?
  4. After setting gains, can I go into HU and adjust bass, treble (and mid on this HU) or use an EQ setting, or do you always listen to it 'flat'?
  5. Anything else I need to know?
I hope I am done, but have been warned by many of you that this may not be the end for me. For now, it will be. I think. Well...unless I find a smaller, better amp or some lowers, or...uh oh.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Old 12-17-2017, 06:56 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesehead_13
Bike: 2012 SG
System: Fairing only
HU: Aquatics AQ-MP-5UBT-HS (internal amp off)(40 is max volume; 3/4=30)
Amp: JL Audio MX 280/4 (Bridged - see below)
-Channel mode: 4ch (Bridged in Stereo)
-Input voltage: low
-Filter Freq: 80Hz
-Filter Mode: HP
-Input Sensitivity(gains): 12 o'clock
Speakers: DD AW 6.5 w/ AT28 tweeter in grilles

My tuning ability sucks, and this is the deepest I've gotten so far, so any help would be appreciated. I am trying to do a "final" tune. I find myself always running volume up to 30 while I am riding, and am concerned I may be stressing the system.

Questions are:
  1. How close to "tuned" can I get by ear without a DMM?
  2. If I want to use a DMM to check output (23.7 v per the manual), do I really have to cut out all my heat shrunk, crimped, taped final connections and start again? If so, is it worth it, or is by ear the final say so anyway?
  3. Any suggestions on Filter Freq, Filter Mode, Input Sensitivity setting?
  4. After setting gains, can I go into HU and adjust bass, treble (and mid on this HU) or use an EQ setting, or do you always listen to it 'flat'?
  5. Anything else I need to know?
I hope I am done, but have been warned by many of you that this may not be the end for me. For now, it will be. I think. Well...unless I find a smaller, better amp or some lowers, or...uh oh.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Set the gain bike off first at 3/4 volume. All flat to begin. Find the point where you here distortion/clipping. Then back off till all clear again. Then set the bass and treble, set gain back some if needed. Then start bike, listen while running, and back gain off a bit more of it tends to distort again, and then set bass and treble again. Cross around 80hz hpf as close as you can find on the amps xover. I don't believe the Aquatic has a built in filter. Been a while. Seems bass awkward but I have found again and again it is easier to get close bike off and refine slightly bike on after getting dialed in bike off. Depends on Amps but the JL doesn't typically gain much more power from bike on to off. Ymmv.