Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if something sounds good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:37 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts
Default How do you know if something sounds good?

We recently helped a another shop out DC Cycles and Racing in Alabama teaching them tips and tricks. Their words “we never knew a bike could sound like this”. So it’s got me thinking.....how do you really know if something sounds good? They brought us two bikes, one for a fresh install and one loaded with Beyma, Hertz SPL and Diamond amps that another shop had helped them with. You’d think the bike with high end gear would sound decent at worse but it sounded like pure garbage. So when someone says a product is good OR bad I wonder if it’s good because they’ve never actually heard good or bad because perhaps they couldn’t tune. DC said to us the Beyma/Hertz bike sounded like garbage and he needed help tuning it. We got that bike bangin!!!! We got the second bike...loaded it with our install and it was even better. So good that we are likely headed to Alabama and Tennessee next month to help with installs for some high end builds and I really think folks are floored once they hear what really good sounds like.

Heres another quick gem because I see, not just here but other places, folks chasing more RMS power. The bike in this vid is running 400watts, no DSP, no radio, just a Bluetooth module.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:40 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Some never know, some need to hear better, and others just don't care and accept it. Obvious when dc knows the other shop didn't have the ability the first time, they shouldn't go back and came your way. Too many jump into the audio side wanting to be a one stop shop, they sell themselves outside their ability because they think it is easy. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Some never know, some need to hear better, and others just don't care and accept it.
Anyone that thinks that's going to sound good at 70 mph is deluding themselves - unless all you want to do is stand around listening to a stationary bike - in which case what's the point of the bike? You want good music?... listen to it in a living room. You want a bike - ride the $#%& thing and listen to the bike make it's own music. The best musical sound you're going to get riding is with a headset.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Anyone that thinks that's going to sound good at 70 mph is deluding themselves - unless all you want to do is stand around listening to a stationary bike - in which case what's the point of the bike? You want good music?... listen to it in a living room. You want a bike - ride the $#%& thing and listen to the bike make it's own music. The best musical sound you're going to get riding is with a headset.
Wrong forum Bro!!

The following 3 users liked this post by Gannicus:
cshocker (12-11-2017), Ndfastln (12-10-2017), Sturgis67 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,976 Likes on 19,389 Posts

Sunday evenings aren't much fun at your place ??

Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Tuning an audio system is an art that can make or break a build. Some have it and most don't. Good job Alex.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:26 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

That's he biggest problem in my area. There's really no good audio shops around. There's money to spend but all anyone has to go off of is that one guy that has a loud stereo on his bike. I come here for advice and learn what I can, but that only goes so far. Most I know simply want good sound on the road.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

I've been getting a lot of good laughs at my shop lately. Customers and people I know heard I've been upgrading my bike audio again, and want to hear it. I crank it up and they are like "g-damn that sounds awesome! I didn't know a bike could sound like that!" Then I tell them well half the speakers aren't hooked up atm and it hasn't been tuned yet. ROFL. I know (especially after going to the SOS grudge fest) that it sounds like crap, loud but, like crap. Many say you couldn't possibly want it any louder, and I tell them, well there is this unicorn I've been chasing......lol

Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
I've been getting a lot of good laughs at my shop lately. Customers and people I know heard I've been upgrading my bike audio again, and want to hear it. I crank it up and they are like "g-damn that sounds awesome! I didn't know a bike could sound like that!" Then I tell them well half the speakers aren't hooked up atm and it hasn't been tuned yet. ROFL. I know (especially after going to the SOS grudge fest) that it sounds like crap, loud but, like crap. Many say you couldn't possibly want it any louder, and I tell them, well there is this unicorn I've been chasing......lol

That's exactly it!!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Looks like you haven't riding with a good system yet. I can hear mine loud and clear and with some punch at 80mph and wearing ear plugs. I've ridden behind a bike at 80, with ear plugs and I can hear his music and what song was playing.

Quick Reply: How do you know if something sounds good?