Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 speaker amp decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
I run a JL XD400/x with Hertz Hsk165xls. It sounds good and i can blast it loud and clear at highway speeds. But sometimes i do find myself wanting more at highway speed.

Im adding 6x9s to the lids and would love to sell the Hertz to try out some pro audio set ups.
Good info for the OP!!!! In line with the thread title, what’s gonna be your amp strategy if u expand to lids? Then what’s the amp strategy if u move to fairing PAs? Fairing horns or tweets? Lots of variables to consider these days regarding amp selection / strategy as the sled audio industry diversifies.

OP, take ur time and think this thru as definitive amp choices really cannot be made until u really narrow down where ur headed with your system. Start with PA or Full Range. Then tweeters or horns. Then growth potential. Ultimately define the sandbox on how much bag space ur willing to give up for audio accessories ie amps. If ur answer is not go give up any bag space then that may actually drive your product selection and build strategy.

T.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Good info for the OP!!!! In line with the thread title, what €™s gonna be your amp strategy if u expand to lids? Then what €™s the amp strategy if u move to fairing PAs? Fairing horns or tweets? Lots of variables to consider these days regarding amp selection / strategy as the sled audio industry diversifies.

OP, take ur time and think this thru as definitive amp choices really cannot be made until u really narrow down where ur headed with your system. Start with PA or Full Range. Then tweeters or horns. Then growth potential. Ultimately define the sandbox on how much bag space ur willing to give up for audio accessories ie amps. If ur answer is not go give up any bag space then that may actually drive your product selection and build strategy.

T.
this is great advice as I am in the same boat. This man is very willing to help and is extremely knowledgeable on the subject as well as many others. Take your time and figure out end goal. It took a few people to tell me the same thing and o will be planning over the next few months maybe even years depending on cost. But I want to it right this time and not just what I can afford. I will piece my system together step by step with the help of the great guys on here and can't wait for the end result regardless of how long it takes to achieve it. Good luck with your build but have an end game in sight of what you want in the end.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:13 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Good info for the OP!!!! In line with the thread title, what’s gonna be your amp strategy if u expand to lids? Then what’s the amp strategy if u move to fairing PAs? Fairing horns or tweets? Lots of variables to consider these days regarding amp selection / strategy as the sled audio industry diversifies.

T.
I dont want to give up bag space for audio. My end game is 4 speaker system with amp or amps in the fairing. I'm not looking for competition level. I want a nice system that plays loud and clear while i ride. I am very in between on selling the Hsk's go to pa because they do sound so good.

I changed the Hsk's to channels 1 and 2 and tried that for now to see how it sounds unbridged. I had read it takes double the power to gain 3db. I know I am way under powered for the speakers i have but it sounds great and is still loud. I am going with dd vo 6x9s in the lids and running them off channels 3 and 4 off my JL X400/4. Again i know I'm underpowered but i already own the amp.

Even if i go to Pa up front it's going to be DD Vo or Mmats with B3 horns. I still planned to use the Jl amp. From what I've read and have been told the JL amp i have is very good piece and under rated.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:34 PM
SoZo
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

So

How many amps can you fit under the fairing ???

I currently have the JL 400/4v2 on the way but can change to a different setup.

I HAVE decided I am going DD VO-B3 and some kind! of 6.5 , not sure if Ill upgrade further.

Last edited by SoZo; 11-25-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:18 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoZo
So

How many amps can you fit under the fairing ???

I currently have the JL 400/4v2 on the way but can change to a different setup.

I HAVE decided I am going DD VO-B3 and some kind! of 6.5 , not sure if Ill upgrade further.
On my 2003 FLH I can only fit 1 JL 400 under the fairing. Its the only one i have tried.