Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Lid's and speakers for them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017 | 11:59 AM
hbsoldier3
|
Elite HDF Member

Default Best Lid's and speakers for them?

Have done numerous searches, and have found some great intell. Currently running a BT4180, BT 7.1's in fairing, and Arc 602's in the TP pods. I see the Factory Match has came out with an ECO lid. I spoke with FM yesterday and he said the lids are from Fairing Factory. In addition, I read quite a few good reviews on the Pioneer TS6900PRO 6x9 for the lids. So, my question would be, should I go with the Factory Match Hogtunes lids, or save some money with their ECO lid. In addition, is the TS6900PRO the right speaker? Appreciate any support or alternative ideas. Bike is a 2014 FLHTK.

Thanx,
Paul

Old 11-17-2017 | 02:01 PM
2015UltraLimited
Tourer

Paul,

I have run the Pioneer TS6900PRO 6x9's for a year now (~7,000+ miles) and they are great. 70% of the time lids only and 30% of time in parallel with the Alpine pod speakers using the V-TwinAudio plug-n-play cable. Post #4 is where I bought the components.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...eaker-lid.html

Looking forward to what you end up with as far as lids go.

Old 11-17-2017 | 03:00 PM
Lastride
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force

Paul
I have had the Factory Match Hogtunes lids for over a year. I've done a couple of week long trips were you have no choice but ride on in the rain. The hogtunes lids have all ways kept things dry.

Last edited by Lastride; 11-17-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2017 | 03:02 PM
hbsoldier3
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2015UltraLimited
Paul,

I have run the Pioneer TS6900PRO 6x9's for a year now (~7,000+ miles) and they are great. 70% of the time lids only and 30% of time in parallel with the Alpine pod speakers using the V-TwinAudio plug-n-play cable. Post #4 is where I bought the components.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...eaker-lid.html

Looking forward to what you end up with as far as lids go.
Thanx for the response, I spoke with Donna at Biketronics and Mike is making me a Y harness so I will be able to run all the speakers. Or, if I take the tour pac off I can run the lid speakers.

Old 11-18-2017 | 12:32 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Hey Paul welcome back...I just went with Harley CVO lids, (my is 07 SG), I just thought, the Harley lids are good quality and by the time you pay to get them painted I would not save money by buying after market lids and have them painted, (Factory Match was not around then)! I have run the BT (HAT) 6x9's (musical, accurate... would blend well with the speakers you have (ARC's and HAT's)! Next I ran the TS 6900's...loud, but the horn was BRASH sounding, not musical or accurate sounding (for example made Santana's sweet sounding guitar sound harsh and tinny) took them out after a week! I'm now running the DD VO 6x9's they are LOUD smooth sounding and musical...like them a lot, still in my bike! I thought I might miss the highs (VO's are not co-ax) but I have the BT 7.1's in my pods so still have plenty of highs in my rear sound stage...bottom line...like the VO's 1st... Hat's 2nd... Pioneer's distant 3rd! Good luck bro!

Old 12-16-2017 | 01:52 PM
whittaker727
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Hey Paul welcome back...I just went with Harley CVO lids, (my is 07 SG), I just thought, the Harley lids are good quality and by the time you pay to get them painted I would not save money by buying after market lids and have them painted, (Factory Match was not around then)! I have run the BT (HAT) 6x9's (musical, accurate... would blend well with the speakers you have (ARC's and HAT's)! Next I ran the TS 6900's...loud, but the horn was BRASH sounding, not musical or accurate sounding (for example made Santana's sweet sounding guitar sound harsh and tinny) took them out after a week! I'm now running the DD VO 6x9's they are LOUD smooth sounding and musical...like them a lot, still in my bike! I thought I might miss the highs (VO's are not co-ax) but I have the BT 7.1's in my pods so still have plenty of highs in my rear sound stage...bottom line...like the VO's 1st... Hat's 2nd... Pioneer's distant 3rd! Good luck bro!

So you're running 6X9's in the factory lids? I didn't know that was possible. That's why I have Alpine 5X7's. I'm intrigued.

Old 12-16-2017 | 06:08 PM
ew25950
Road Master

I have DD VO's in hogtunes lids from TFM, absolutely love them (very loud and clean) but these are the only lid 6x9's I've ever had so nothing really to compare them to. I have a JL 280/4 running them.

One thing to note about or ask with the fairing factory lids is what's included. Appears there is no gasket, grommet, wires and likely no install instructions either. The hogtunes stuff is proven and that's why I paid more for them versus other discount options. There is also a nice step by step install video on the hogtunes site. Hogtunes is about $300 more than the FF stuff so that's important too.

If you use thefactorymatch.com the 10Off code is still working. Good luck in your decision!

Old 12-16-2017 | 06:17 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I have the DD VO's in a set of Bad Dad lids. Powered by a BT4180

Last edited by sanman4ever; 12-16-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2017 | 01:26 PM
08FXDL
Tourer

I’ve never heard the Pioneers but for the most part they seem well liked. The others that get good praise are the Moto 692s and VO-M6x9s. I chose the VOs but they’re not installed yet. Two others I came across while searching for speakers that look good on paper are Digital Designs DX6x9s and Mmats PS6x9s.

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
I have the DD VO's in a set of Bad Dad lids. Powered by a BT4180
Same thing I’m doing. Factory Match is painting my Bad Dad lids now and I’ve got VOs ready to go in.

Old 12-17-2017 | 01:31 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by 08FXDL
Same thing I’m doing. Factory Match is painting my Bad Dad lids now and I’ve got VOs ready to go in.
Bad Dad lids are pretty trick!

Quick Reply: Best Lid's and speakers for them?