Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Pinghr
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo System Upgrade

I have a 2001 Electra Glide and am looking to upgrade to a current Bluetooth stereo system. I am also looking for a plug and play so that I do not have to make any modification to the bike. Not sure if that is possible as I am struggling finding the right system.

Looking to see if my fellow HD riders can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

There is no such thing as a Plug n Play system. Need a budget and are you doing 2 or 4 speakers.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
There is no such thing as a Plug n Play system. Need a budget and are you doing 2 or 4 speakers.
SB is spot on. No such thing as plug and play. It's a marketing scam. One plug does not make a plug and play SYSTEM. Lol!! You can set up your system without cutting into the harness all day long. The plug and play guys would have you believe if you don't use their plug and play package your only alternative is to hack into the harness. Simply not true!!

Answer SBates questions and we'll get you there bro!!

Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,379 Likes on 5,871 Posts

the closest to what you desire is the AquaticAV system, however that system also has drawbacks, especially if you have rear speakers/rear controls. While the stereo function works fine, you would lose any other functionality you have such as intercoms or CB if equipped. Also for the rear speakers (again, if equipped) you would have to cut into that part of the harness. You would lose ALL function on the rear controls (again, if equipped).

I had one of these units on my 2000 Ultra, and I did not like the compromises that it required, so I replaced it with a 2006-2013 stock system. There are MANY other options out there, but not too many that utilize the stock connector (which is what I assume you mean by plug and play)

Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

PingHR ,,,,

we install both the Jensen & Aquatics replacement HD radios at many trade shows across the USA each year ,,,,

I prefer the Jensen and if your 2001 Harley came from the factory with the Harley RSI radio and just two fairing speakers, then the Jensen would be 100% plug-n-play into the in-fairing wiring harness ((unless my old fat brain is forgetting something)) ,,,

if in fact your bike is an ULTRA with the rear pod speakers, then if you just plug the Jensen in as is, the rear speakers are not going to work unless you do some custom wiring ,,,,,

also ,, if you have an Ultra, when you plug in the Jensen HD1BT radio, your CB and intercom features of the system will be gone ,,,,

if you need links to the Jensen HD1BT on the J&M website, just shoot me a private message, or email and I will give them to you ,,,,,

Best regards ,,,,,

Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
PingHR ,,,,

we install both the Jensen & Aquatics replacement HD radios at many trade shows across the USA each year ,,,,

I prefer the Jensen and if your 2001 Harley came from the factory with the Harley RSI radio and just two fairing speakers, then the Jensen would be 100% plug-n-play into the in-fairing wiring harness ((unless my old fat brain is forgetting something)) ,,,

if in fact your bike is an ULTRA with the rear pod speakers, then if you just plug the Jensen in as is, the rear speakers are not going to work unless you do some custom wiring ,,,,,

also ,, if you have an Ultra, when you plug in the Jensen HD1BT radio, your CB and intercom features of the system will be gone ,,,,

if you need links to the Jensen HD1BT on the J&M website, just shoot me a private message, or email and I will give them to you ,,,,,

Best regards ,,,,,
Thank you JM John! That's the type of answer that will work for all of us!!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Thank you JM John! That's the type of answer that will work for all of us!!
to add to JM JOHN post, if your dead set against cutting into factory harness, just add new speaker wires from your new head unit to your rear pods, cant speak for the jensen, but the aquatic has leads for rear channels

Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Pinghr
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fellas for getting things started for me.
To answer some of the questions: I don't really have a budget, yet! I may after the bride finds out. Ha! It is and Electra Glide Ultra Classic with front and rear speakers.
I wish to replace them as I want to add an amp as well and want speakers to be able to handle that. Not sure if the current speakers can handle an amp or not.
I was referencing a plug and play to make things simple , but now understand that I can't.
I do have the rear controls. I did not want to sacrifice them but the wife doesn't use them. So it is a possible option for me.
yooperhog- I was thinking the same thing, why not run separate wires. Don't see why not unless told otherwise.
ScottinAZ- Does the 2006-2013 system have Bluetooth?
Thanks again gents!

Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinghr
Thanks fellas for getting things started for me.
To answer some of the questions: I don't really have a budget, yet! I may after the bride finds out. Ha! It is and Electra Glide Ultra Classic with front and rear speakers.
I wish to replace them as I want to add an amp as well and want speakers to be able to handle that. Not sure if the current speakers can handle an amp or not.
I was referencing a plug and play to make things simple , but now understand that I can't.
I do have the rear controls. I did not want to sacrifice them but the wife doesn't use them. So it is a possible option for me.
yooperhog- I was thinking the same thing, why not run separate wires. Don't see why not unless told otherwise.
Thanks again gents!
to maximize your " bang for your buck" id go with an alpine, sony, kenwood style car head unit with an adapter frame to mount to your bike, a solid 4 channel amp and speaker combo
a fully tuneable system
the sky is the limit brother

Old 10-12-2017, 05:35 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,379 Likes on 5,871 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinghr
Thanks again gents!

Not from stock, but IIRC Iron Cross Audio can add it.

Keep in mind it isnt completely a Plug & Play to add a 2006-2013 stereo to our bikes, I had to repin the grey plug out of the back of the stock (2000 for mine) unit to utilize the full functionality of the 2006 unit. It isnt hard if you have a bit of skill, and can follow a pinout (cost me a whole 11 bucks for the proper connector, and about an hour to an hour and a half time). You CAN replace the secondary harness with a 2006 one, but I just replaced the connector, and have had no issues. I would have to add wiring if I wanted some of the other modules (Ipod, XM, etc,) but the intercom, headset speakers and CB will function on what wires are there from the earlier harness.

Quick Reply: Stereo System Upgrade