Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FOCAL Fairing amp 4x175w!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018 | 10:14 AM
wuneyewilly
Intermediate

TW....do you have the email address for Jacob@Focal, and have they given any update what we're supposed to do to get sorted?

Old 01-15-2018 | 11:51 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these but after reading this about being wired wrong, I have to question the quality control of focal. They have premium products but spending $550+ (with a coupon) on a product that is wired wrong leaves me wondering about the quality and longevity of the amp itself. Yea I know it is an easy fix but it shouldn't be needed. Just my thought...
If it concerns u brother, don't go there.

What amp u looking at then that is comparable?

T

Old 01-15-2018 | 12:34 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Well if they get the bugs worked out, Id like to go with this one. I like what you said about it. If not probably an arc moto. what do you suggest?

Old 01-15-2018 | 02:02 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Well if they get the bugs worked out, Id like to go with this one. I like what you said about it. If not probably an arc moto. what do you suggest?
With my setup I would never get the ARC due its limits on parallel operations but if was never going to parallel, that's a solid amp. HDP4=solid amp but requires amp tray on Rushmore. SD makes good amp but require DSP.

If u have the cash, I would wait for Focal to get thru the launch of this amp and address these outsourced screw ups.

T.

Old 01-15-2018 | 02:11 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

BTW, spoke with a bud at Focal USA and he indicated that a fix for the input harness was approaching fast. I think to remedy the folks with the amp in their possession a patch harness has been produced and tested and should have those produced and avail in a couple weeks.

It was also stated that the output harness was tested and the flip flop logic of the output wires was intended in the design. Also something to do with bridged ops.

T.

The following users liked this post:
wuneyewilly (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018 | 02:27 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
BTW, spoke with a bud at Focal USA and he indicated that a fix for the input harness was approaching fast. I think to remedy the folks with the amp in their possession a patch harness has been produced and tested and should have those produced and avail in a couple weeks.

It was also stated that the output harness was tested and the flip flop logic of the output wires was intended in the design. Also something to do with bridged ops.

T.
Well there you go. If you say its a good amp then I'm in. Ill just run what I got until they get it worked out. Thank you. I mean it sounds ok but those speakers aren't living to there potential.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 01-15-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2018 | 06:37 PM
twspalm
Advanced

If I were to do it all over again, I would absolutely still buy this amp, even with all the troubleshooting 08 and I did to figure it out. It’s small and powerful enough to run nearly any speakers I would ever put in. With a modicum of wiring ability, you could follow the posts above and do fine with the incorrect harness.

Took the Ultra out for a spin yesterday while the weather was cooperating. My bud listened for a minute and just said “holy crap”. It’s really that good... and I don’t have a pro audio installation.

(The previous was an unpaid testimonial! Ha Ha)

Old 01-15-2018 | 06:56 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

"Holy crap" is a paid endorsement. Better than any compensation you could get from a sponsor. This is why I come here. To spend more $$. lol

Old 01-16-2018 | 09:58 AM
Carlos3621
Cruiser

FWIW, I also spoke with Focal yesterday, and indeed, they are about 1-2 weeks from having a "patch" cable available for the fix.

Old 01-16-2018 | 06:40 PM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailwind
With my setup I would never get the ARC due its limits on parallel operations

T.
T, do you care to elaborate on these limitations?
Thanks in adance.

Quick Reply: New FOCAL Fairing amp 4x175w!