Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FOCAL Fairing amp 4x175w!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018 | 08:15 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Gann, u on trial here brother? Or is this 50 question from flcusat about anything not related to the thread title?

Just sayin!!!!

T.
Convicted, locked up and serving time bro!! Lol!! All jokes aside. I don't mind answering audio questions bro! It's what I do!! Didn't mean to bastardize the thread though. Bottom line here is that every system is set up different. I can take all your components you have in your bike T and transfer them to my bike speaker by speaker amp by amp and I guarantee my bike will sound different than yours did.

Flcusat just needs to find his happy place. You and my brother Bates both know what it takes to make these bikes sound good. There's no one size fits all with this stuff. It's trial and error at its finest. We can talk this focal amp to death or guys can just go purchase the amp and test drive it. That's the only way anyone is gonna know if it's the right fit for their audio goals. The next "Big Thing" is always just around the corner with this stuff.

The following users liked this post:
flcusat (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018 | 08:22 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by black01
Im in the market to try out a new amp. The Focal is on the list as well as the JL 600/6. Is the JL underrated as far as power, or is it just a good match for high efficiency speakers?
ok. for what its worth, and i know this thread has been derailed, but at this point i feel i need to throw in my $.02about a year or so ago i picked up a set of used PRV 6" and wired them in to a pn41000. freakin loud and clear...then was told to try them on a jl amp, found a new/leftover 280/4 on clearance at a local brick n mortar...bridged it to 20vac and the sound quality dramaticly increased...then did a complete system overhaul adding a jl 600/6...another improvement in sound quality and PLENTY of power...again, for my listening taste, which are wide and varied...every amp is not for every speaker there is no single amp that everyone will love. keep in mind your end goal. all watts are not created equal. perhaps ill start a new thread

Last edited by yooperhog; 01-05-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Im in the market to try out a new amp. The Focal is on the list as well as the JL 600/6. Is the JL underrated as far as power, or is it just a good match for high efficiency speakers?
I think that with all of the various sled audio product options expanding almost daily, that the amp selection really is conditional based on your overall setup parameters. The Focal power will always benefit you well!!!! If ur going to bridge and parallel high efficiency speakers then there are better options, that is if ur willing to fill ur bags/packs with audio equipment unless u get creative.
For me, amps won't go in bags or packs. Those are sacred spaces that are required to meet the main objective for my riding style and the reason I own sleds aka to ride them / road trips.
Focal Sport has awesome power and SQ and will feed damn near any traditional sled speak more than enough juice. If ur running nothing but very high efficiency speaks, then the JL stuff might be a better play. Just take ur time to lay out ur entire setup, to include growth options, and I'm sure there will be perfect amp solutions.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 01-05-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Good match for high efficiency speakers describes the JL amp best. The focal amp appears to be perfect for our bikes @ 175 watts per channel. That's pretty much the sweet spot for a ton of speakers out there. Focal definitely done their homework with this amp.

Old 01-05-2018 | 08:31 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by yooperhog
perhaps ill start a new thread
Please do.
I'm the ultimate guilty person for the derail of this thead.
Once again I apologize guys.

Old 01-05-2018 | 09:28 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by yooperhog
ok. for what its worth, and i know this thread has been derailed, but at this point i feel i need to throw in my $.02about a year or so ago i picked up a set of used PRV 6" and wired them in to a pn41000. freakin loud and clear...then was told to try them on a jl amp, found a new/leftover 280/4 on clearance at a local brick n mortar...bridged it to 20vac and the sound quality dramaticly increased...then did a complete system overhaul adding a jl 600/6...another improvement in sound quality and PLENTY of power...again, for my listening taste, which are wide and varied...every amp is not for every speaker there is no single amp that everyone will love. keep in mind your end goal. all watts are not created equal. perhaps ill start a new thread
I was telling ya those little 75w from that amp produce!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2018 | 09:30 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by flcusat
I tried bro. He is too busy.
And yes that bike is unbelivable.
I'll hit you up during the week brother.

Oh and thanks!!

Old 01-05-2018 | 09:58 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
I was telling ya those little 75w from that amp produce!!!!!!!!
LOL. 75w on steroids

Old 01-05-2018 | 11:48 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by haze324
I'll hit you up during the week brother.

Oh and thanks!!
I'll be waiting for your call brother.
I'll send you my phone number by messenger.
By the way unbelivable is not the right word to describe your bike. Jaw dropping is more accurate.

Old 01-07-2018 | 01:42 PM
08FXDL
Tourer

Sorry about this being in bold but I wanted everyone to notice.

I have not installed my FDP Sport yet but "twspalm" has and posted earlier in this thread about only getting a mono output from the amp. After talking with him I decided to look at the input/output harnesses for the amp and noticed the (L) and (R) positives were pinned incorrectly on both the RCA and Molex input harnesses. He switched his around on the rear speakers and is now getting stereo output from the rear. The easy fix is to just switch the positives from (L) to (R) and vice versa on both front and rear channels at the output harness. The proper fix is to repin the connectors on the input harness which is a pain with the small Molex connectors. He has sent the Focal rep he's been dealing with an email to explain the problem and I'll likely send one as well.

Here's how mine and his are pinned looking at the input harness from the rear:

FL(-) --- FR(-) --- RL(-) --- RR(-)
FR(+) -- FL(+) -- RR (+) -- RL (+)

Here's how they should be pinned looking at the input harness from the rear:

FL(-) --- FR(-) --- RL(-) --- RR(-)
FL(+) -- FR(+) -- RL (+) -- RR (+)

Also another thing of note; pay attention to the labels on the output wires when connecting your speakers instead of the colors. The colors are called out incorrectly in the instruction booklet that comes with the amp.

The following users liked this post:
Makdaddy (01-07-2018)

Quick Reply: New FOCAL Fairing amp 4x175w!