Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FOCAL Fairing amp 4x175w!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017 | 10:14 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by kojak
Same for a 2017 cvo limited. Attached manual, It comes with Harley molex harneeses.
So you're saying you don't need the BT355? Lemme know how that turns out.

Old 12-28-2017 | 10:07 PM
twspalm
Advanced

Well, something a little strange with this amp. Got it and the ARC Moto 602 installed in the front with Polk 652’s in the tour pack. Waiting on the BT355’s to arrive to complete the install. In the meantime, did a few test listens without the line levelers and while ridiculously loud, it sure sounded more like monoaural than stereo to me when playing a few different songs off the USB. I then ran a left / right channel test tone and sure enough, the tone was not separated and always came out of both left and right speakers whether the tone was for the left or then right side. As a test, I pulled all amp channel inputs except the right front and played a 1kHz test tone which came out of both the right and left front channels simultaneously with only the one amp channel input being connected. Then further tested by bypassing the amp all together using only the HU output to all speakers and got normal left / right stereo results.

Called and explained the issue to the tech guys at Pacific Stereo who are now sending me a new amp...Kudos to them... anyone seen this issue before?

Old 12-29-2017 | 06:55 AM
lwshack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by twspalm
Well, something a little strange with this amp. Got it and the ARC Moto 602 installed in the front with Polk 652’s in the tour pack. Waiting on the BT355’s to arrive to complete the install. In the meantime, did a few test listens without the line levelers and while ridiculously loud, it sure sounded more like monoaural than stereo to me when playing a few different songs off the USB. I then ran a left / right channel test tone and sure enough, the tone was not separated and always came out of both left and right speakers whether the tone was for the left or then right side. As a test, I pulled all amp channel inputs except the right front and played a 1kHz test tone which came out of both the right and left front channels simultaneously with only the one amp channel input being connected. Then further tested by bypassing the amp all together using only the HU output to all speakers and got normal left / right stereo results.

Called and explained the issue to the tech guys at Pacific Stereo who are now sending me a new amp...Kudos to them... anyone seen this issue before?

Sounds like the Bridged/Normal switch was broken or malfunctioning?

Old 12-29-2017 | 07:14 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior

You got both of those amps in your fairing??? You Rushmore guys got it made. Lol

Old 12-29-2017 | 07:34 AM
08FXDL
Tourer

That's odd but definitely not right. I still haven't installed mine. Glad to see Pacific Stereo is getting you another one!

Are you using the Molex harness for the time being? There are some pretty specific instructions on using the harness depending on whether or not you have OEM rear speakers. If you do have working rear speakers set it to "4 channel input" and remove the small harness on the Molex harness. If not you have to leave the small harness in and set it to "2 channel input". Also if using RCAs you'll have to make sure you use channels 3 & 4 for the input if you're not using all four channels. I'm sure you've probably got all that right but never hurts to ask.

I agree with the above.... sounds like either the input or normal/bridged switch isn't working correctly.

Old 12-29-2017 | 09:28 AM
twspalm
Advanced

Yes, I installed per those instructions paying attention to the “2/4 In” switch and bridged / normal switch settings. I used the left and right front channel molex connectors and installed as described including having to cut into the factory harness to connect the rear channels as the Ultra has no factory molex for the rears. Like you guys said, I thought the bridge / norm switch might being messed up so flipped it back and forth a few times in case the contacts were not mating properly...

I did get an “In Phase / Out of Phase” test tone from the Focal web site and tried that with all channels connected. The “In Phase” tone sounded okay but when it switched to “out of phase” it was dead silent with no audible sound coming out of the speakers. I tried that tone on a stereo laptop and whether in or out of Phase, you could hear a sound coming out of the speakers although a little different.

Now I’m wondering if the Focal Amp supplied input harness connector may be mis-wired... like crossing the right and left negative leads...

When I get the BT355 LLs I’ll use the Focal supplied RCA harness. In the meantime, I did compare the provided Molex and RCA harnesses and they are wired the same at the connector. All confusing. I guess I need to find the Sport Amp pin out wiring diagram to be sure.

Old 12-29-2017 | 09:30 AM
Stache18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Not sure how close you are to them, but they are in Philly.

Xotic Customs
You know them? I’m in the same boat looking for a good shop in the greater philly metro or surrounding area

Old 12-29-2017 | 10:30 AM
08FXDL
Tourer

Yes, I installed per those instructions paying attention to the “2/4 In” switch and bridged / normal switch settings. I used the left and right front channel molex connectors and installed as described including having to cut into the factory harness to connect the rear channels as the Ultra has no factory molex for the rears. Like you guys said, I thought the bridge / norm switch might being messed up so flipped it back and forth a few times in case the contacts were not mating properly...

I did get an “In Phase / Out of Phase” test tone from the Focal web site and tried that with all channels connected. The “In Phase” tone sounded okay but when it switched to “out of phase” it was dead silent with no audible sound coming out of the speakers. I tried that tone on a stereo laptop and whether in or out of Phase, you could hear a sound coming out of the speakers although a little different.

Now I’m wondering if the Focal Amp supplied input harness connector may be mis-wired... like crossing the right and left negative leads...

When I get the BT355 LLs I’ll use the Focal supplied RCA harness. In the meantime, I did compare the provided Molex and RCA harnesses and they are wired the same at the connector. All confusing. I guess I need to find the Sport Amp pin out wiring diagram to be sure.
Sounds like something is definitely going on. Maybe one of the others that have this amp installed can shed some light on their experience with it.

Old 12-29-2017 | 11:29 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master

If both amps sounded Monaural on all speaks then its not the amp
Sounds like HU or Source input to me

Old 12-29-2017 | 11:33 AM
08FXDL
Tourer

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I think he only has one amp driving a pair of Moto 602s in the fairing and a pair of MM652s in the pods.

Quick Reply: New FOCAL Fairing amp 4x175w!