Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Desings Install and Initial Impressions('17 SG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Digital Desings Install and Initial Impressions('17 SG)

I have been riding the bike for a few weeks now after installing my DD AW6.5s, AT28s, and D4.90 with supporting gear. I have to say up front that this is not at all like the car audio that I''m used to. It's been said before that this is the worst possible enviroment to try and reproduce sound, I definitly agree. I spent the better part of two days installing everything. I found the install to envoke a tenseness in me most likely caused by tearing down a perfectly good almost brand new bike. Once the initial fear subsided the install was really pretty stright forward. I'm sure it is not kosher to give credit here, but the Rockford video was a tremendous help to me. I found and watched several other videos that also helped.

With the fairing, gas tank, and misc shix covering the battery removed I started by running the power wire thought the wiring tray. Easy enough. Then I mounted and did some initial wiring on the amplifier. After removing the pods, PITA also knew this going in, I cut HT grills and mounted the AT28s. I missed rereading the part about a snug fit! So I had to improvise. I wish I would have implemented my improvisation and left the silicone in the tube, where it belongs. That stuff is as bad as anti seize as far as getting it everywhere. Mounted the grills and then the BT brackets and AW6.5s, all pretty non eventful.

Here are some pictures and I will follow up with some other thoughts and my amature review of the sound.

The following users liked this post:
pglider (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Some pictures

Wiring prep

More prep

Fairing tore down.

One of several amp mounting fittings.

Last edited by marshallb; 10-07-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: edit pics
Old 10-07-2017, 06:41 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Here are some pictures of my tweeter in grill work around.

Cut up the factory grills to make the tweeter solidly mounted.

Cut up the factory grills to make the tweeter solidly mounted.

Cut up the factory grills to make the tweeter solidly mounted. I like the result.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

The neon green thing is a spacer for light switches being installed in a box that is recessed. I found that the amp has to rock forward to get thte fairing back on, worked out pretty well. That plug that isn't quite in all the way would later cause panic!! When no sound cam out of the bike after powering everything up.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 PM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome progress, can't wait to hear it

Old 10-07-2017, 06:50 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Here are some other pictures I took of the install.

Gap rod installed.

About what it looks like now under the fairing.

Turned out pretty good.

Ahh *****! LOL

Old 10-07-2017, 07:09 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

So how does it sound? It lives up to the hype! I still want to fiddle with the gain some as I set it up with the -5DB 1KHZ tone. I don't think I needed to do this as my source material is pretty consistent. The result is that a little over half volume on most track is close to the top. That makes me uncomfortable because I can get overzealous with the voulume ****! I heard Hardy1911 say that his setup was not the wall of sound he would like, but that it was more that adequate at 80MPH. I think that is a fair statement for my setup. I can hear it very well at 80MPHand over. It is not a full range full bodied sound like my old MECCA compitition car was, but it is lound and clear. You can feel the snare drum in your chest at low speeds wich is pretty awesome. I haven't had the oppurtunity to hear many high end scoot stereos yet but this has to be near the best available for the price and components.

The D4.90 is a nice little amp I like the power and the sound. It neathier adds nor takes away from the music. The one drawback for this particular setup is the crossove rgoes from 20HZ to 5KHZ that is a huge gap and very difficult to find 80HZ. In the future I would like to find someone with a Xover Calibrator and dial it in.

The AW6.5s are a nice peice of engenieering man it's impressive. I don't know if the frequency response can be believed, but D*#N it is good. The snare drum in your chest thing is worth the price of admission.

The AT28s are nice tweeters I'm not a tweeter afficinado so other than they work and are not harsh. I dont know what to say.

I hope this helps others. This is a big undertaking and not for the faint of heart. I love music it enhances my ride enough that I am willing to do all this. I'm glad I did it, and would do it again.

Last edited by marshallb; 10-07-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling, added some thoughts
Old 10-07-2017, 07:24 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Tearing down a brand new anything to make it better is like an ulcer waiting to happen. Lol. Looks good so far.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Very nice install

I notice the BT bracket to fairing bolts at the arrows below...

When I got mine a couple of years ago there were no holes there. I posted pics of adding the holes to mine & how much sturdier it made everything. Others started doing it also and.... I guess BT thought it was a good idea

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

The holes were there I had to souce the rest. I read the thread that mentioned this addition previous to install and made it part of the plan.

Last edited by marshallb; 10-07-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Digital Desings Install and Initial Impressions('17 SG)