Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom! Box 6.5GT EQ Curves - Key-On/Running

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a lot of questions but the first that came to mind, which sounds better running or off?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:06 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Off sounds much better. It's like you had the speakers covered up with something then uncovered them.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Tuned correctly ON sounds better, but OEM setup sounds like **** on/off.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:50 PM
DE-Glide
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also running the old dealer flash that you can't get any more... 8 speakers, 2 amps, amps off. And there is a considerable difference in EQ between running and not running. I'm sure you can attribute some of it to increased voltage while running, but there is a huge spike in the 90-100Hz range while running. This is what pushed me to getting an Arc Audio PSM DSP and setting up different EQ presets for running vs non-running. I simply have a switch to go between the settings, but other have wired it up so that it automatically defaults to the "Running EQ Preset" when the bike is "ON" position vs the "Accessory" position.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Stew_FL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Respect
I've read a bunch of posts about 'Key-On' vs 'Running' EQ curves. Working with JL Audio and one of their TwK88 boxes it seemed like a good time to dig into it. The RTA snapshots below are right off the high-level output (no LOC - that's another bunch of tests I've done and boy is it a doozy). These are just basic Pink Noise tests and I offer them up for sheets and goggles for those who are curious as this is what I do. I'm determined to help get the best out of these systems.

Over-all not much of a difference in curves whether it's in running or accessory position. I see more of a volume curve issue (which is going to be a compromise to fix).

Your mileage may vary, this is based on a 2017 unit running v1.20.3

And for kicks here's the highest volume without clipping (which was full minus one 'bar')

Guess I'll return the RTA I just ordered. You stole my idea. Now if you can check it at speed with and without the AVC. That sure does not llook like this one.
Also what freq is that big spike at the low end before the dip of your pics. I was also going to check if the voltage from the HU went up with the bike moving.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Stew_FL
Cruiser

Never mind the spike question. Looks like there is a voltage drop across all with the bike running

Old 04-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Respect
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stew_FL
Also what freq is that big spike at the low end before the dip of your pics. I was also going to check if the voltage from the HU went up with the bike moving.

It's not a spike its the SUM.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Stew_FL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Respect
It's not a spike its the SUM.
Ya I figured that out after looking at it on the computer instead of my phone. Thats why I said forget the spike question in my post after the original question.

Another question if I may. How were you taking the readings? Directly off the head unit, off the amp outputs, or mic in front of the speakers? And was that AVC on or off?

Everyone talks about the big EQ problem.Thats pretty close to flat other then the low freq drop off at 100h compaired to the 14 map I posted. Maybe the 17s are different.

There is a better bass responce with the bike off though on full and 3/4 vol.

Last edited by Stew_FL; 04-26-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Respect
Tourer

These are line signal measurements directly out of the HU, the only way to get an honest picture of what's going on. Soruce was USB 0db tones or noise.

Contrary to many comments I've read, there isn't a noticeable difference between key-on vs running, that was the point of this exercise. But there is a big difference between versions.

I dont' use AVC and never would. The volume EQ'ing is bad enough. In discussing with JL Audio we spit-balled an idea to manage that but I don't think its going to take off.