Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Quality Unicorn

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Respect
SPL shows will never go away. You're judged by a box and the number it shows. Some people are all about that number. On the other hand some people like Sound Quality and are obsessive about it. But measuring that is far more subjective and the journey to get there is even more subjective.

I liken it to powerlifting versus bodybuilding. Powerlifting is pure numbers while bodybuilding is totally subjective. Point is its about what your game is. Lots of room for both and neither is going away.
Great analogy

Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

2 words: JL 8.8's!

Old 10-03-2017, 03:00 AM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
Kinda feeling some of T's pain. Just added the TS 6900 Pros in my lids and while they are loud all I get is the tweeters. You would think I just added horns to the lids. So now I need to fix the SQ. So loud isn't always good by itself.
My 4 ts 6900's in the lids thump. Get that bass turned up and youll see. Could also be the 8's in the bags too. Lol

Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

SQ is number one on my list
chasing a little more low end right now
hell its fun trying out new stuff, learning what others have tried, hearing what others are running,
just my $.02

The following users liked this post:
pglider (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 AM
flcusat
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
SQ is number one on my list
chasing a little more low end right now
hell its fun trying out new stuff, learning what others have tried, hearing what others are running,
just my $.02
Same here.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree T that if the audio doesn't sound good then more volume just makes it worse. BUT when we are talking a 2 or 4 speaker system, it is impossible to get all of the sound spectrum. You just don't have enough components to accomplish this. SO in this case some sound quality will be sacrificed to get the volume needed to overcome wind, motor, and road noise. I am not saying lets build shitty sounding loud bikes. The majority of guys/gals just want a 2 or 4 speaker system that they can hear crystal clear at 80 mph, That will never be accomplished if the emphasis is only on the lows or getting that warm sound. You are going to have to push more highs on those systems. Now for all those willing to put 6-12 speakers on a bike, there is plenty of room to get the perfect blended system.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:40 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Bill you make a good point and I think the next step is how do you define sound quality? Is it clarity, is it “bass”. I think you nailed it....it’s impossible to get everything from two 6.5’s in the fairing. A great example I think is the JL 8.8, it’s probably the best full range speaker but I would never classify it as a sound quality speaker. A pro audio and horn will have light years more clarity but significantly less bass. There’s a balance somewhere between volume, top tier clarity, low freqs and speaker choice...then toss in wind, pipes, etc and it gets even trickier. Personnaly on the road I give up some bass for volume and clarity. It carries better.....but I also understand that’s tough when a guy only has 2 speakers.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:18 AM
BaggerBill103
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

"Personnaly on the road I give up some bass for volume and clarity. It carries better.....but I also understand that’s tough when a guy only has 2 speakers."

"It carries better" My point exactly!
"but I also understand that’s tough when a guy only has 2 speakers" Exactly why a set of PA mid drivers and a set of horns makes sense.

But T is correct when a bike has 6, 8, or 10 speakers and doesn't sound good, nothing was accomplished but wasting a bunch of money!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerBill103
"Personnaly on the road I give up some bass for volume and clarity. It carries better.....but I also understand that’s tough when a guy only has 2 speakers."

"It carries better" My point exactly!
"but I also understand that’s tough when a guy only has 2 speakers" Exactly why a set of PA mid drivers and a set of horns makes sense.

But T is correct when a bike has 6, 8, or 10 speakers and doesn't sound good, nothing was accomplished but wasting a bunch of money!
Tomahawk WI...Fall Colors Ride/Rally
I saw and heard more "custom" stereos in one place than i cared too...8's and 8.8's stickin outta fancy lids on fancy bikes...blah blah blah...everyone of them sounded like ****...to my ears
some "custom audio" tent set-up with a display bike that was horrendous
its debates like this one that keeps us focused on the SQ of systems

Old 10-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Sound Quality is certainly subjective on a sled due to the wide range of factors involved to include the goals associated with riding or the parking lot. Imho, the greater challenge is the ride, unless ur truly competing then that's all about a ton of totally different factors including fabrication.

Since 90+% of us are on daily riders, my point in all of this was to make sure we do not lose sight of that target while capitalizing on a balance of any and all products from the SPL and SQ world that we can.

An all SPL sled is just nasty on my ears. Maybe why that's why u have to go to specialty dealers and Parts Express for PRV and Speaker USA for Beyma, and to Germany for Ground Zero. Just not musical/dynamic unless mastered by smart guys using subs or low hitting 10s are in the game, and expertly tuned for the parking lot extravaganza. The riding extravaganza could be a far bigger challenge as ur losing even more range and hoping ur gonna feel the supplementing thump from the bags as u certainly are not going to hear it.

As for the SQ, if ur too much that direction u are highly limited by volume and clarity as those lower freqs come into play. But the musical aspect is far more appealing to the broader audience.

So the point of this was an opinion based thought that the sled audio pendulum was swing way out of center for the 99% of us that don't or won't compete. Nothing more, nothing less. Only an attempt to incite us all to find a perfectly balanced line of products that will work on the various build scenarios that are typically presented and to target a level of sound quality that will hold up to the factors facing daily riders with extremely diverse genres in play.

Imho, the AW is a model fairing speaker due to not only the range but the efficiency. Keep in mind that the fairing speakers MUST sound awesome as a stand alone set up as that truly is your front stage for the daily rider. Now if u can find that AW Speaker on steroids, we might have a long term sled audio winner. Maybe the Beyma that hits 70hz as they are in the 97 range for efficiency? The Mmats possibly? Maybe PRV will come up with a sled Speaker that hits lower? Solid full range sound coming from the fairing is where it all begins.

From that point, it continues to get far more complex with lowers, lids, TP, & bags as that sound is variable from the parking lot up to 80 mph.

Again, not attacking those that initially got butt hurt and they should know better. Just trying to keep this well balanced forum on the tracks mainly due to the demographics that exist. This is not an SPL audience based on a box and a meter. We live to ride & ride to live right?

T.

The following users liked this post:
pglider (10-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Sound Quality Unicorn