Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help with amp gains

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:24 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts
Default little help with amp gains

i have the micro 2v2 amp and millie pros, i downloaded the 1000hz -5db test from the link provided in the sticky above. set all the headunit settings flat, max volume is 35 so i set it at 26. the micro amp doesnt have a screw in terminal for the speaker , it has all 4 wires in a plug, i inserted the vm leads in the proper ports turned the bike on set the tone to repeat , volume at 26 , xover i tried on hp flat and lp, freq max at 400 hz. with the gain maxed out i didnt even get to 22 on the vm, im looking for 24.5, so what am i doing wrong lol

Old 09-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
i have the micro 2v2 amp and millie pros, i downloaded the 1000hz -5db test from the link provided in the sticky above. set all the headunit settings flat, max volume is 35 so i set it at 26. the micro amp doesnt have a screw in terminal for the speaker , it has all 4 wires in a plug, i inserted the vm leads in the proper ports turned the bike on set the tone to repeat , volume at 26 , xover i tried on hp flat and lp, freq max at 400 hz. with the gain maxed out i didnt even get to 22 on the vm, im looking for 24.5, so what am i doing wrong lol
Hey bro -
With that amp and those speakers you're better off setting the gains by ear. Start with the gains turned all the way down. Turn the HU up to 27-28. Slowly turn the gain up until you hear distortion and back off a hair. Filter on HP. Crossed at 80Hz. Doesn't get any better than that.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:49 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Well hell that's what I had before lol and I jacked with everything to set the gains better lol.. I never trust myself and I figured doing it with tools would stop me from messing something up.. Guess I need to upgrade to better stuff just so I can tune it haha

Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

My problem has always been I listen to metal so I find it hard to tell whats distortion from the music itself vs my settings... I had to change my ground wire, it was ran for a pbr and when I installed this Amp I didn't even think to change it.. Got it set up with 8g now

Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Any certain track I should use or just something I would normally listen to?

Old 09-30-2017, 02:45 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Use a couple of your favorite songs that get loud with bass. Preferably on a USB or CD.
If you have any distortion. It's going to come from the bass notes.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:59 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Turn your radio up higher. Set it at 30 or so....you need a higher input voltage.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

I set it at 30 before, but found myself creeping around 32 alot lol. I've been wanting to upgrade again but didn't wanna send you the 5000th email about what I should next

Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

I know for a fact I need to upgrade my HU. This one is a basic set up after the last 2 Kenwoods 6series I had both died in the same year

Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Spent about an hour messing around with the sound and I'm just finding thay sweet spot lol. Not really asking for help more of me just complaining.. My main music is metal, Pantera, slayer but the next track mught be Ted nugent or srv. To me the tuning is vastly different between the two.. Having the bike running really throws me off as I find even with my eyes closed and trying really hard lol its difficult to really hear without gettin right on the speaker which I'm sure isn't good for my head lol.. I wish I had an Amp thay I could tune with tools to remove the guesswork, it's all my fault tho.. I got stuff that works together, but just works isn't good enough..

Quick Reply: little help with amp gains