Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Soundstream Amp in an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 PM
eglideic
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Installing Soundstream Amp in an Ultra

I have 2013 Ultra. I upgraded the front and rear speakers and now it's time to install an amp. I have a Soundstream PN4.520D 4 channel amp.
Reading other posts I think I should use a PAK-SNI 35 line converter, but I think I need two of them. One for the front speakers and one for the rear speakers. Is this the way to go, or is there a better way.
I have the 10 gauge power wire to the battery, and I believe it should have a fuse near the battery, but I don't know what size of fuse.
And I have 16 gauge speaker wire. Anything else?
If there are any posts here I should read or videos on YouTube for this I can't find them.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by eglideic
I have 2013 Ultra. I upgraded the front and rear speakers and now it's time to install an amp. I have a Soundstream PN4.520D 4 channel amp.
Reading other posts I think I should use a PAK-SNI 35 line converter, but I think I need two of them. One for the front speakers and one for the rear speakers. Is this the way to go, or is there a better way.
I have the 10 gauge power wire to the battery, and I believe it should have a fuse near the battery, but I don't know what size of fuse.
And I have 16 gauge speaker wire. Anything else?
If there are any posts here I should read or videos on YouTube for this I can't find them.

Thanks for any help on this.
You would be money ahead to get an aftermarket HU and run low level inputs with that amp. Running high level with the line levelers is doable but that amp sounds better IMO running RCA's. But to answer your question. Yes you would need two LL's 8 gauge power and ground to the battery and 16 gauge speaker wire. Just out of curiosity. What speakers are you running?

P.S. A 40 amp fuse is sufficient with the 520.D

Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM
eglideic
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the HK radio is just fine for me.
The bike has Titan II 6.5" speakers in the front and Infinity 62.11I speakers in the rear.
What does "two LL's " mean? And what's wrong with 10 gauge wire for the power cable?
How much power does this amp use???? How big a fuse does it need? The back of the unit has a 40 amp fuse. Isn't that enough for the power wire?
Is it going to burn up my stock charging system and battery????
Maybe the stock HK unit by itself is good enough. I don't want to have to pull a trailer full of batteries for this to work.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by eglideic
I think the HK radio is just fine for me.
The bike has Titan II 6.5" speakers in the front and Infinity 62.11I speakers in the rear.
What does "two LL's " mean? And what's wrong with 10 gauge wire for the power cable?
How much power does this amp use???? How big a fuse does it need? The back of the unit has a 40 amp fuse. Isn't that enough for the power wire?
Is it going to burn up my stock charging system and battery????
Maybe the stock HK unit by itself is good enough. I don't want to have to pull a trailer full of batteries for this to work.
Tha PAC SNI-35 you referred to are line levelers or short for LL's. The additional inline fuse it to protect the amp. You can go ahead and use 10 gauge. But my recommendation is 8 gauge. I use 8 gauge for every install. But you can make it work with 10. No worries on the charging system. just as an FYI the Titan II speakers will sound "Okay" with the 520.D but set your expectations low.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I ran a 520 with 10 gauge wire for a season or more (was already run from my Hog Tunes set up), you should be fine, a 40 amp fuse will also work with that amp. If you were listening to the stock stereo you will certainly like the new set up, much better! Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 843 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
You would be money ahead to get an aftermarket HU and run low level inputs with that amp. Running high level with the line levelers is doable but that amp sounds better IMO running RCA's. But to answer your question. Yes you would need two LL's 8 gauge power and ground to the battery and 16 gauge speaker wire. Just out of curiosity. What speakers are you running?

P.S. A 40 amp fuse is sufficient with the 520.D
My apologies for high jacking .
But Gann u said low levels was best for that amp.
Is it also true with the 350 because I was told when I installed mine that the SS 350 as well as RF300 sounded better on high levels.
Just curious cuz I went high but may add some rcas if it's a better route.
Again sorry OP.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
My apologies for high jacking .
But Gann u said low levels was best for that amp.
Is it also true with the 350 because I was told when I installed mine that the SS 350 as well as RF300 sounded better on high levels.
Just curious cuz I went high but may add some rcas if it's a better route.
Again sorry OP.
Like every other audiophile here I'm always chasing the cleanest signal. Anytime you have to splice wires for an input signal I feel like that signal is degraded. Something you won't notice much on low end systems. But once you start going with a higher end system the less wires you splice the better. That said. If I'm installing an aftermarket system I'm using RCA's!! The OP wants to keep his stock radio so high level inputs with the PAC SNI-35 line leveler will be just fine for him and his radio will sound good! Me on the other hand graduated from HL inputs and the stock radio a long time ago. I'm strictly aftermarket radio's and RCA's.

To sum it up. If you have an aftermarket radio run RCA's. If your running the stock radio go HL and LL's.