Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aquatic Av/SS amp/ Kappa 62.11i install help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM
neub72
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aquatic Av/SS amp/ Kappa 62.11i install help

2012 FLHTK ultra limited 4 speakers (2 in fairing and 2 in rear pods)
Infinity: Kappa 62.11i
Aquatic AV: AQ-MP-5BT-H
Soundstream: PN4.520D

Hi, I want to apologize if I am not following any of the forum rules, and also want to say thank you in advance for any advice that I receive.I am not much good at this forum thing! Been reading Ultranutz threads and it has been very helpful.
I have pretty much installed the system but have a few questions.

1) If I use the one set of RCA jacks from the Aquatic AV: AQ-MP-5BT-H and use a RCA Y to the Soundstream: PN4.520D, will I loose the fader option on the head unit?

2) When wrapping the speakers with the polyfill, should I pack it into the back of the speaker right up to the cone or just around the outer rear part of the speakers.

3)My most important questions is.... when I turn the stereo on with volume at zero I hear a buzz/hum ( without bike running). I am guessing it is a grounding issue but would like feedback on how to eliminate this.

4)Could someone please post a link on how to adjust and have the settings right on the amp? Should I have switch set to full? What's the best settings for the gain?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Front Sight
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I can help you with the easy ones. Wrap the polyfil around the speaker baskets, don't pack it inside them. And if you look at the top of this form there is a sticky which will help you setting the amp gains. I'll digress to the real guru's to answer your other questions. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
neub72 (09-10-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by neub72
1) If I use the one set of RCA jacks from the Aquatic AV: AQ-MP-5BT-H and use a RCA Y to the Soundstream: PN4.520D, will I loose the fader option on the head unit?
Yes you will.

2) When wrapping the speakers with the polyfill, should I pack it into the back of the speaker right up to the cone or just around the outer rear part of the speakers.
The fairing speakers you want to wrap up to look like a cocoon. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p7vo8io7i...01141.JPG?dl=0. The lower and rear pod speakers you want to simply line the inside of the pod with a thin layer.

3)My most important questions is.... when I turn the stereo on with volume at zero I hear a buzz/hum ( without bike running). I am guessing it is a grounding issue but would like feedback on how to eliminate this.
Check that your RCA connections are solid and tape up any metal from the RCA connections so they don't ground out against anything. Take a small piece of wire, screw it to ground on the amp, screw the other end to one of the screws on the back of the radio casing. Also make sure where you ground the amp is clean of paint, etc.

4)Could someone please post a link on how to adjust and have the settings right on the amp? Should I have switch set to full? What's the best settings for the gain?
I personally would set the amp to Full. To adjust the levels, you have two methods to do so - either with a meter or scope, or by ear. I much prefer the by ear method as it's worked for me for years. Other have differing opinions and it's usually based on their audio installation experience level.

1. turn gains on amp all the way down
2. set bass and treble on radio to middle positions (flat)
3. drop in a good acoustical/dynamic CD or MP3
4. turn volume up on radio until you hear distortion while music is playing then back it down a bit.
5. now turn gains on amp up until you hear distortion and then back it down a bit.
6. rinse and repeat for rear channel.

if you're dealing with a 4 channel amp: I unplug the rear, set the front, unplug the front, set the rear, then plug it all back in. It will be difficult to set with all 4 channels plugged in at the same time.

The following 2 users liked this post by UltraNutZ:
AlexTheItalian (11-11-2017), neub72 (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
neub72
6th Gear

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I will be trying to get it finished up and back together today and I will be following your reply to the tee! I will update you on my results. Opps forgot that Amazon will be delivering my RCA adapters Tue. I will get done what I can today.

Last edited by neub72; 09-10-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Good luck. I recently installed the Aquatic AV with Sirius, SS pn2.350d, and Kappa's based on the threads I read here and it rocks. Good bunch of guys here with a lot of knowledge. I was very appreciative of the help provided by Gan on my install.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 PM
AlexTheItalian
Stage II

[QUOTE=UltraNutZ;16618668]Yes you will.

The fairing speakers you want to wrap up to look like a cocoon. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p7vo8io7i...01141.JPG?dl=0. The lower and rear pod speakers you want to simply line the inside of the pod with a thin layer.

Great picture!! I'm thinking to make the same set on my 2013 Limited, Aquatic + Soundstream PN4.1000D
Could you help me explaining how you wire the system from Acquatic+amp+speakers?

Thanks a lot
A