Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 RG Ultra Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:54 PM
donkason
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 RG Ultra Options

New to the forum and new to HD. I got my RG Ultra last week and I love it. I have the baseline audio system and it is barely acceptable. I used to build some rather nice car audio systems in my younger years so naturally when I hear the HD stereo I'm disappointed.

I have been researching but have not found any good concrete info on the OEM amp, impedance, and RMS wattage. Is that info available?

Here is my thought process

1. If the OEM amp is strong enough find aftermarket speakers to add to the system to get a slight improvement in sound quality. I looked at HD upgrade options and to the tune of a grand I can get what likely amounts to $300 of aftermarket goods with an HD sticker on them.

2. If a plug and play speaker upgrade isn't viable on the OEM amp, what would my next steps be with an amp that wouldn't need the charging system modified and the wiring harness hacked? When I bought bike the dealer made it seem like if I tossed my left leg over the bike instead of my right one to mount it would void the warranty. I want something that is simple and in case of needing service I can easily swap it back to OEM.

I'm not a complete audiophile but I do want some clean sound and to get rid of that horrid mid range ring of the OEM system.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by donkason
New to the forum and new to HD. I got my RG Ultra last week and I love it. I have the baseline audio system and it is barely acceptable. I used to build some rather nice car audio systems in my younger years so naturally when I hear the HD stereo I'm disappointed.

I have been researching but have not found any good concrete info on the OEM amp, impedance, and RMS wattage. Is that info available?

Here is my thought process

1. If the OEM amp is strong enough find aftermarket speakers to add to the system to get a slight improvement in sound quality. I looked at HD upgrade options and to the tune of a grand I can get what likely amounts to $300 of aftermarket goods with an HD sticker on them.

2. If a plug and play speaker upgrade isn't viable on the OEM amp, what would my next steps be with an amp that wouldn't need the charging system modified and the wiring harness hacked? When I bought bike the dealer made it seem like if I tossed my left leg over the bike instead of my right one to mount it would void the warranty. I want something that is simple and in case of needing service I can easily swap it back to OEM.

I'm not a complete audiophile but I do want some clean sound and to get rid of that horrid mid range ring of the OEM system.
Not gonna be an easy swap back once you pull the boom amp. There's no easy solution. The BOOM amp and speakers have to come out. You're gonna need a BT line leveler an amp and some 4 ohm speakers to get the sound you're looking for. Simple solution. JL 400/4 bridged to a set of AD design CX62's.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:12 PM
donkason
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Not gonna be an easy swap back once you pull the boom amp. There's no easy solution. The BOOM amp and speakers have to come out. You're gonna need a BT line leveler an amp and some 4 ohm speakers to get the sound you're looking for. Simple solution. JL 400/4 bridged to a set of AD design CX62's.

Sounds like a simple enough deal.

Are the BT line out converters plug and play or do I have to splice wires?

Do I need to upgrade the charging system or can the factory one hold an aftermarket amp that can push around 75x4 RMS?

if I have an issue I can spend an hour or two swapping the old system back and removing power supply wires prior to service. I just don't want spliced wires in case they seem em.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:16 AM
Captain4w
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

following

Old 09-07-2017, 01:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by donkason
Sounds like a simple enough deal.

Are the BT line out converters plug and play or do I have to splice wires?

Do I need to upgrade the charging system or can the factory one hold an aftermarket amp that can push around 75x4 RMS?

if I have an issue I can spend an hour or two swapping the old system back and removing power supply wires prior to service. I just don't want spliced wires in case they seem em.
The charging system is not a problem. There are guys running 3 or 4 amps on the Harley charging system. As with any install you're gonna have to splice some wires. I tell guys all the time there is NO system completely plug and play. There's not ONE member here who's done an install without splicing ANY wires. Can't be done.