Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike to bike communicators

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,296 Likes on 6,040 Posts
Default bike to bike communicators

I looked and probably missed it, but has anyone really looked into the Sena and/or Scala communicators? planning a bike trip in September and we've talked about these, but both of us are old school (rotary dial phones if you know what I mean!) looking for units we can wear with half helmets, does not require our phones to operate, and will allow me to listen to my I-Pod when traveling. I don't understand the Bluetooth function....thought that was required if you need your phone. We (at least me) do not plan to have any phone conversations while traveling. The only thing I'm after is to let my buddy know I need to pee, eat, or gas up!!! What kinds of experiences have you had? What is fairly inexpensive (yeah I know, get what I pay for, but don't want to break the bank either!) and would have range of several thousand yards?
or point me to a forum/thread or something that would help explain to a simple man!!!
thanks!
Denny

Old 08-22-2017, 12:43 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Hey Denny, hate to do this but I also hate too see 75 views and no responses. Gotta recommend you ask your question in the touring section too. I have learned lots in that section about things of this nature. Hope this helps.
Kris

Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 PM
BostonCowboy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Scala Rider Q3 for the wife and I. Works well with pairing to phone for calls or playing music, I prefer the head unit tho for music.

Good battery life, we charge them up here and there on stops.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

We used the Scala for a long time in full face and have the half helmet kit as well, but rarely use it any more. In a full face you can make a call and the person on the other end won't know you're on a bike, the Mics are that good. Still good quality but more bkgd noise in a half helmet.

Thousands of yards isn't going to happen, standard range is either 1/2 or 1/4 mile.

Bike to bike comms are easy and clear and batteries last 9-10 hours easily.

I've heard the Senas are great units as well, but no personal experience.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Wrenchboy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (three of us) use the Sena 10 headsets when we ride. We can keep mic's open or tap for intercom. You pair your Ipod or phone to your headset. When you are playing your music, or whatever, and go to intercom the music pauses until closing intercom, then music resumes. Excellent range between headsets. Have no complaints. We bought ours through Revzilla last summer.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,296 Likes on 6,040 Posts

thanks Kris...made the move. also did a search there and found a lot of info. much seems outdated, or at least a bit old. We'll give this a few days and see what comes out.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:54 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
thanks Kris...made the move. also did a search there and found a lot of info. much seems outdated, or at least a bit old. We'll give this a few days and see what comes out.
Your welcome, glad to see you got some feedback here too.
Kris